Missing RAM with SLI enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo all..looking for a fix...if possible....if no fix, then at least an explanation..the hows and whys...

I haveVista 32 Ultimate with SP1 and this issue was there from day 1.

I know about the 3GB limit (regardless of them saying 4GB I have yet to see it.)

I know that the 3GB=System RAM+Video RAM.

I install 1 Nvdia 8800GT 512mb video card.

System RAM reads 2.5GB.  3GB of System RAM-the 512 of the video card=2.5GB.  goody gumdrops.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/legend0fthefall/beforeSLI.jpg

I insall the 2nd Nvidia 8800GT 512 video card and enable SLI.

System RAM reads 1.5GB?  WHAT?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/legend0fthefall/afterSLI.jpg

Shouldn't it read 2.0GB?? 3GB of System RAM-512 for card 1-512 for card 2=2.0...not 1.5...???

Where did the missing 500mb go?

I have built and rebuilt, installed and reinstalled and I still come up with the same thing no matter what I try.

I would love a fix...if not, an explanation as to the hows and whys of what is going on...I would at least just like to understand.

Thanx all!!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:39 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

I understand your concern on the issue. However, it seems that the issue cannot be repro on each computer with SLi enabled. I would like to quote feedback from one of our users:

"When I use a 32bit Vista on my computer, I have 2.2G RAM for use with programs and games (4G - (256M + 768M + 768M)) since I have two video cards with 768M VRAM in SLI. 8800 GTX KO ACS3 (SLI), nForce 680i"

We can see Windows Vista has calculated the RAM correctly with SLi installed. Therefore, I recommend you check BIOS setting first. Meanwhile, we will further test it with SLi enabled and check the potential cause of the issue.  

Best regards,

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

I understand your concern on the issue. However, it seems that the issue cannot be repro on each computer with SLi enabled. I would like to quote feedback from one of our users:

"When I use a 32bit Vista on my computer, I have 2.2G RAM for use with programs and games (4G - (256M + 768M + 768M)) since I have two video cards with 768M VRAM in SLI. 8800 GTX KO ACS3 (SLI), nForce 680i"

We can see Windows Vista has calculated the RAM correctly with SLi installed. Therefore, I recommend you check BIOS setting first. Meanwhile, we will further test it with SLi enabled and check the potential cause of the issue.  

Best regards,

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:33 AM
  •  

Hallo Hallo

Tyvm for the reply!!

If what you say is true, then I am having a deeper issue.

Here is a question, only because I'm a bit new to system building...  What is the 256m for in that equation?

If his PC is recognizing/utilizing 2.2gb then mine should be recognizing/utilizing 3.0gb (or if 256 is a necessary part of the equation, then it would be 2.7gb)  right?? .  I do have 4GB of ram installed.

The bios and the properties UI of "My Computer" recognizes the 4GB.

I am comfortable diving into the innards and the bios and such...soooo  what would I be looking for in the bios??  I am not very knowledgeable about the bios.

Thanks again!!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:09 PM
  • It would probably help if I gave you my system specs:

XFX 780i motherboard--shipped with P02 bios, already updated to P04, which was just released

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4ghz

4GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 800 PC2 6400

2 XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe 2.0--SLI'd

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI

WD Raptor 74GB

Seagate 250GB

D-Link DWL-AG530 32-bit PCI Wireless Adapter

2 Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK

And of course, Windows Vista 32 Ultimate with Service Pack 1

Does DEP/PAE help/hinder?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:35 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

The 256M mentioned by the user should be driver reservations of physical memory. Meanwhile, I'd like to include 2 KB articles on this issue.

Windows Vista SP1 will report 4 GB of system memory (RAM) on systems that have 4 GB of memory installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946003

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

From the article, we can see the maximum memory available in 32-bit Vista should be 3.12GB. From the previous equation, we can see RAM did not miss while SLi enabled. Thus, I consider the issue can be driver or BIOS setting related. Since the settings of different BIOS are vary, I recommend you contact with motherboard manufacturer on how to configure the setting. Meanwhile, let's also check if installing another version of video card driver can resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:23 AM