none
Connecting to Hyper-V Server 2016

Question

• I've installed Hyper-V Server 2016, enabled Remote Management and enabled Remote Desktop. I then open Hyper-V Manager on another machine, connect to server, pop in the IP address, enter the Hyper-V credentials then this:

I can ping the host and can RDP to it so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Has Microsoft purposely made connecting to a Hyper-V server difficult? With VMware, I install ESX, open vSphere, pop the IP and credentials in and off you go.

• Edited by jim11212 Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:29 PM Added more info
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:28 PM

Answers

• Got a bit further with the firewall rules but then got some credential delegation errors.

Hyper-V manager was running on a Win 10 machine. Hyper-V wasn't on a domain but the Win 10 machine was.

Really can't be bothered spending time on it so I've gone back to VMware for now. Took 10 mins to install and connect. Bizarre

• Marked as answer by jim11212 Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Open up cmd on Hyper-V server and run these commands,

Netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Volume Management" new enable=yes

Netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Windows Firewall Remote Management" new enable =yes

Netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=yes

I guess that Hyper-V is in workgroup? Try to add it with servername insted of IP

If it is not working add Hyper-V host in clients trusted hosts (Run this command from client machine)

winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="RemoteComputerName"}

Start Server Manager and add server to it. When you add it right-click on server--> Manage As and type in credentials. Right-Click on server in Server Manager and select Hyper-V

I saw many cases where people was not able to add Hyper-V server through Hyper-V manager. They had to add server in Server Manager and from there right-click on server and select Hyper-V

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:00 PM
  • "I then open Hyper-V Manager on another machine,"

What operating system is running on the other machine?  Are both machines in the same Active Directory domain?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Got a bit further with the firewall rules but then got some credential delegation errors.

Hyper-V manager was running on a Win 10 machine. Hyper-V wasn't on a domain but the Win 10 machine was.

Really can't be bothered spending time on it so I've gone back to VMware for now. Took 10 mins to install and connect. Bizarre

• Marked as answer by jim11212 Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:05 PM
  • "Start Server Manager and add server to it."

Server Manager? I'm on Windows 10 trying connect on another machine with a fresh installed Hyper-V 2016 Server. 

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Having the same problem here, working on a Windows 10 in a domain, server is a 2016 core installation inside same domain of my workstation with Hyper-V installed.

Cannot connect remotely to the hyper-v manager, from the 2016 server even if all the correct ports/services are open in the server firewall. Either from the Hyper-manager client or from the Server Manager GUI ; all installed on my workstation.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:49 PM
  • This doesn't work for me. It just produces a long WSManFault message.
    Friday, August 18, 2017 8:16 PM
  • I'm trying to do the same thing and running into major headaches and no useful information from Microsoft and error messages that are useless.
    Friday, August 18, 2017 8:25 PM
  • Found out my problem was created from a patch for an HP Proliant server. Anything that touch the WMI in the HP Patch would cause connectivity issue with the Hyper-V management tool.

I had to reinstall the server with only the basic drivers for the server and the connectivity issue has disappeared.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 2:55 PM
  • This issue should be solved with the "newly" HP SPP 2017.07.02 found here : http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

Which kind of server and SPP did you use?

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:34 AM