Upgrading from XP to Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the WIN7 RC 64 version and have burned it to a DVD. I am currently running WinXP Pro 32. I have pre-purchased a copy of WIN7, but of course, will not be available until after the Oct 22 Release. Is there any reason to go ahead and upgrade to the RC version now and the install the purchased copy after it is released, or should I leave well enough alone for now. My system should handle the change from 32Bit to 64 Bit OS ( at least I hope that it will). Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

My Current System:

Intel Quad 6600@2.4G
    4G RAM
    Hard Drives:
    C: SATA- 500GB  I plan to install Win7 here and make this the primary boot drive
    D: Mounted 127GB
    E: Mounted 320GB
    F: Mounted 80GB. F: is the current Boot Drive and has WinXP installed on it. I plan to leave this drive as is if possible in case I need to use XP for some programs.
    G: USB External 500GB currently used for photo and other storage and backups
    H: DVD RW Drive
    I: USB External 1TB drive. I have essentiall used this drive to back up everything from C:,D:,E:, and F:.
    nVidia 9600GT 512 RAM video.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. My goal is to keep the migration to WIN7 as simple as possible.

Ed Green
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Ed,

For your current situation, you should format the computer and clean-install Windows 7 64-bit. As to the data transfer, please refer to the following webpage.

Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7

Good Luck

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, August 17, 2009 10:13 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:55 AM

All replies

• Maybe somebody else can clarify but I don't think its possible to upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit.  Its definitely not allowed on the server side of the product line but I am not sure about the client side.

In general though I would think you would have enough headache going from the 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7 without introducing a Windows RC into the mix.  I am not even possible an upgrade from RC to RTM is allowed.

My advice?  Wait.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot by prematurely upgrading.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:24 PM
  • 1. Upgrading from XP to win7 isnt supported*.
    *You will have to clean-install win7.

2. Upgrading from the RC to the final version isn't supported.

3. Going from 32-bit to 64-bit doesn't work.

In your case, you will need to clean-install win7 64-bit and either dual-boot XP or wipe XP.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics card and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hello Ed,

For your current situation, you should format the computer and clean-install Windows 7 64-bit. As to the data transfer, please refer to the following webpage.

Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7

Good Luck

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, August 17, 2009 10:13 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:55 AM
  • is there any reason that you think you definitely need 64bit OS?
    Think twice please, cause after, you will end up biting your elbows trying to understand why your system s uck
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Thanks, everyone, for your help, you've pretty much confirmed what I though that I was going to have to do, which is to wait until I get my final copy ( that isn't a problem)and then do a clean install of Win7 on the C drive and then re-install programs as needed. That should leave me a dual boot option since Win7 and WinXP will be on separate drives. My reason for migrating to the 64Bit OS rather than staying with the 32 is that I have 4G RAM at present and my understanding is that you need to use the 64Bit OS in order to use RAM greater than 3 G. If that's wrong, would someone please correct me and supply a reference so that I can read it.

THanks again,

Ed Green
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:18 PM
  • I used Vista x64 and it worked fine, better in fact than Vista 32 bit.  The only reason he might not want to use x64 is if he has less than 3gb of ram, and he doesn't.  x64 doesn't "s uck" as you say.  Get used to it, there will be no more 32 bit clients from here on out if Microsoft sticks to its guns.  Heck, most of the laptops and desktops you can buy at the store now come with 64 bit pre-loaded.  The compatibility is there with the new stuff, just check for drivers for your old hardware.

My system:

Lenovo T500
    2.8ghz Core 2 Duo T9600
    160gb HDD
    4GB ram
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:24 PM
  • 32 bit operating systems can't utilize more than 4gb of ram without going through hoops to get it done (tricks like PAE and such).  Windows Server (all flavors) can use more than 4gb by doing this but for client operating systems to use more than 4 naturally you need 64 bit.  Yes, Vista and windows 7 can use PAE but its better not to deal with this.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:29 PM