none
IE11 does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded my PC from 8 to 8.1, now I'm using IE11, but I can't use IE at all.

After I open IE, I can type an address in the address bar but nothing happens when I hit enter. Likewise when I select the COG icon to open tools, all the options are greyed out and I dont even have the option to select Internet Options. I can't even open a GIF or html file in IE now, the browser just stays blank.

This is really frustrating and I haven't been able to find an answer for this myself, I'm hoping someone here has encountered this before. My computer doesn't have any viruses or malware of any type.

Many Thanks

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Quote: I dont even have the option to select Internet Options.

Locate to Control Panel, view by small icons, and then you will find the Internet Options.

Quote:I can type an address in the address bar but nothing happens when I hit enter. Likewise when I select the COG icon to open tools, all the options are greyed out

Incorrectly installation may cause this issue. Please try unstalling and reinstalling IE.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/install-ie#ie=ie-11

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 20, 2013 12:25 PM
  • My computer doesn't have any viruses or malware of any type.

Unfortunately another common cause of such symptoms is incompatible security and other constantly running programs.  So you may have to resort to clean-boot troubleshooting techniques to identify such a culprit.  Starting with a safe mode boot might be your simplest, least disruptive, starting point for such a diagnosis.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:34 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Quote: I dont even have the option to select Internet Options.

Locate to Control Panel, view by small icons, and then you will find the Internet Options.

Quote:I can type an address in the address bar but nothing happens when I hit enter. Likewise when I select the COG icon to open tools, all the options are greyed out

Incorrectly installation may cause this issue. Please try unstalling and reinstalling IE.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/install-ie#ie=ie-11

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 20, 2013 12:25 PM
  • My computer doesn't have any viruses or malware of any type.

Unfortunately another common cause of such symptoms is incompatible security and other constantly running programs.  So you may have to resort to clean-boot troubleshooting techniques to identify such a culprit.  Starting with a safe mode boot might be your simplest, least disruptive, starting point for such a diagnosis.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:34 PM
    Answerer
  • I also am having problems with IE11 & Windows 8. It is ridiculous, I buy a new PC & it works for crap. Why don't they have fixes for these problems yet?? Shouldn't be selling it if it doesn't work.
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:19 PM
  • buy a new PC & it works for crap. Why don't they have fixes for these problems yet?? Shouldn't be selling it if it doesn't work.
    If the "they" you're talking about is your computer manufacturer, with all their extras, I would agree with you.  Ask them for support?  There must be some kind of warranty and support service for new machines, either from your dealer or the manufacturer.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 23, 2013 7:33 PM
    Answerer