Exchange Connector Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any ideas on this one. I just set up the Exchange connector, workflow account is joined to the Administrator user role, and in the Connector page, it just hangs at the status "Running".  In the Operations Manager log, I see this every minute or so (I have the connector set to sync once per minute, for testing purposes).  Some things to keep in mind for this issue: firstly, I don't have administrative access to our Exchange servers, and secondly, I only followed the directions in the documentation that comes with the connector, so anything outside of that should be considered semi-foreign. Here is the information in the log:

Log Name:      Operations Manager
    Source:        Health Service Modules
    Date:          11/3/2011 8:11:00 PM
    Event ID:      33880
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      CCS6.iowa.uiowa.edu
    Description:
    A Windows Workflow Foundation workflow failed during execution.

Workflow Type: Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ProcessEmailsWorkflow

Workflow Identifier: 2350763d-e915-38f2-2372-7c8f9fc85492

Exception Type: System.Security.SecurityException

Exception Message: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched.  Inaccessible logs: Security.

Exception Stack:    at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration(String source, String machineName, Boolean readOnly)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String machineName)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.VerifyAndCreateSource(String sourceName, String currentMachineName)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.TraceListener.Trace(String traceType, String traceMessage)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ExchangeInbox.logMessage(String message)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ExchangeInbox.ProcessMail()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ProcessEmailsWorkflow.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.CompositeActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Health Service Modules" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">33880</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-04T01:11:00.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4863</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Operations Manager</Channel>
        <Computer>CCS6.iowa.uiowa.edu</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ProcessEmailsWorkflow</Data>
        <Data>2350763d-e915-38f2-2372-7c8f9fc85492</Data>
        <Data>System.Security.SecurityException</Data>
        <Data>The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched.  Inaccessible logs: Security.</Data>
        <Data>   at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration(String source, String machineName, Boolean readOnly)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String machineName)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.VerifyAndCreateSource(String sourceName, String currentMachineName)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.TraceListener.Trace(String traceType, String traceMessage)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ExchangeInbox.logMessage(String message)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ExchangeInbox.ProcessMail()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ProcessEmailsWorkflow.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.CompositeActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Any ideas are hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris L.

Friday, November 4, 2011 1:17 AM

Answers

• Chris: Try to give your workflow account local administrator rights on your mgmt. server. (You might need to restart System Center Management and System Center Management Configuration services after you've given the correct rights to the workflow account)

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris

Your error says "Exception Message: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched.  Inaccessible logs: Security".

Can you check if your Workflow account is in the policy to generate security audits, and if not you can add it there?
    Locally on your SCSM server, open "Administrative tools\Local security policy\Local policies\User rights assignment\Generate security audits".

If you add the account there it doesn´t solve your problem with the Exchange Connector, but you will probably see more information about the problem in the event log.

So back to your problem....

Have you configured a SMTP Channel in SCSM under Administration\Notifications\Channels.
    Enter the name of your Exchange server and an Email address that will be used when SCSM sends out Email.
    That address should be the same as your Workflow account or an address like helpdesk@company.com if you forward all incoming mail for helpdesk to the Workflow account.

In your Exchange Connector, have you specified the address for the Workflow account?
    In this version of Exchange Connector the workflow account is the only address that can be monitored.

Do you know if the Exchange auto discover is configured or have you maybe pointed out the Exchange Web Service URL in the registry?

Stefan Allansson, Lumagate, Sweden, www.lumagate.com Blog: www.scsm.se
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Stefan,

Thanks for the tips, adding the account to the Local Security Policy you mentioned didn't enable me to see more logs, and the connector has been configured to work with the email address assigned to the Workflow service account. Autodiscover is configured for our Exchange environment.

Friday, November 4, 2011 3:37 PM
  • You have pointed out the right mail server in SMTP channel i guess?
    No firewalls that are blocking port 25 between the SCSM server and the Exhange server?
    Have you tried if the outgoing email is working(so we know that the SMTP Channel is configured right and no firewalls blocking)

If i remember right, port 443 is also used when detecting the Exchange Web service URL, so check that port also.
    Are the SCSM server allowed to relay trough the Exhange server?(only need for outgoing mail, but good to know)

Stefan Allansson, Lumagate, Sweden, www.lumagate.com Blog: www.scsm.se
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Chris: Try to give your workflow account local administrator rights on your mgmt. server. (You might need to restart System Center Management and System Center Management Configuration services after you've given the correct rights to the workflow account)

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:11 AM