none
Recommended PC Configuration for Office 2010 and MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using an XP based PC running Office 2010 Apps including MS Project 2010. The PC has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M520 / @2.4GHZ.  2.92GB Ram at 1.17GHZ ram.  I'm noticing some "strange" issues when running Outlook, Explorer and MS Project where infrequently I can't adjust some of the data in MS Project (move in/out tasks / task rows. 

I have a history of using PC's with 4-6GB of RAM and wonder if the smaller RAM size could be causing issues?

Sincerely,

Dennis.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:42 PM

Answers

• I checked on PC updates.  Seemed to be much better then I saw what appears to be a software defect with Project 2010.

If you have a schedule created with multiple lines and roll up tasks to a summary task and you try to insert a new task below, then move it to the left, the row or rows will disappear.  It looks to have something to do with having all tasks below the summary task fully expanded.  Not sure exactly if it has to do with features in 2010 but I've seen it multiple times.  next time it happens I'll try to capture screen shots and attach, is this acceptable?

Dennis
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:09 PM

All replies

• I don't know what it is, so we have to work out what it isn't.

• Does this happen for diferent project files?
    • Does it happen if Outlook and Explorer are closed to free up memory
    • Do you have SP1 for Office and Project? If not try updating
    • If you save the project to xml then close the project and import the .xml file to a new project does this fix the problem (likely a file corruption fixed by converting to xml and back)?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:07 PM
  • It does happen with different project files (I'm saving the same file and opening new versions while I'll try to export / import to see if it correct).

Will try with Outlook / Explorer closed.

I have XP Professional SP3 as the O/S

MS Project is Project 2010 Version 14.0.6023.1000 32 bit SP1 MSO. I'll look for any updates.

I'll export to xlm then open new file and import. then try. I'll follow up when these are completed.

Dennis
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:54 PM
  • I checked on PC updates.  Seemed to be much better then I saw what appears to be a software defect with Project 2010.

If you have a schedule created with multiple lines and roll up tasks to a summary task and you try to insert a new task below, then move it to the left, the row or rows will disappear.  It looks to have something to do with having all tasks below the summary task fully expanded.  Not sure exactly if it has to do with features in 2010 but I've seen it multiple times.  next time it happens I'll try to capture screen shots and attach, is this acceptable?

Dennis
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:09 PM
  • All I just recovered my missing task by opening up project and clicking on new project and start from exisitng project and everything came back.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:52 PM