Word 2010 - tab settings in numbered lists RRS feed

• Question

• I want to set up numbered lists by typing "number-fullstop / tab / text / return", which works fine except that the tab-indent positions always go to multiples of ¼-inch. I have changed my NORMAL.DOTM file so that my Normal-style default tab stops are at 1cm intervals (those of us outside the US don't really use inches any more) and I want the indents in my numbered lists to use the same default settings in order to give consistent alignment throughout the document. This would also overcome the problem of lists longer than 9 items (i.e. where the numbering goes into 2 digits) ending up with different amounts of indenting as the text is moved in by a second tab stop.

The only way I can find to do this is by using CTRL/M after typing the first list item, but I'd like it to happen automatically by default, using the Normal-style tab settings from the template. I've tried all the settings I can find in File / Options / Proofing but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• You have never been able to reliably set the default number format in Word—without using styles that is.

However, the situation was a bit different in Word 97–2003; in those versions, the changes that you made in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box were connected to the Bullet and Numbering buttons on the Formatting toolbar. It wasn't 100% predictable, though...

Set up numbering with styles and attach keyboard shortcuts. Then teach your wife to use the shortcuts. If you also save the styles to a template, they can be reused in multiple documents.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• Set up a multilevel list with the desired formatting and indents. See http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html. Note that the article uses the built-in headings as an example, but you can set up a list with any set of styles, not just headings.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:46 PM
  • Thanks Stefan, that works fine if I select that list within my document, but how do I get it to trigger this automatically by typing "number-fullstop / tab / text / return" without selecting any styles, as I am sure I used to do in Word 2003? My wife is a novice user and wants to be able to just type without being concerned with the niceties of styles. All I need to do is to change the default parameters within the Style definition such as "Aligned at 0.63 cm, Indent at 1.64 cm", which do not seem to have an option to modify them.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:59 AM
  • You have never been able to reliably set the default number format in Word—without using styles that is.

However, the situation was a bit different in Word 97–2003; in those versions, the changes that you made in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box were connected to the Bullet and Numbering buttons on the Formatting toolbar. It wasn't 100% predictable, though...

Set up numbering with styles and attach keyboard shortcuts. Then teach your wife to use the shortcuts. If you also save the styles to a template, they can be reused in multiple documents.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Stefan, Thanks for your help - that looks like the best available solution.

Peter

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:48 PM