none
Unwanted mail forwarding RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm running Exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 domain.  A certain former employee left our company a while back so I removed his user account & mailbox from AD & ESM.  After that I added a new Contact entry in AD for him with his new email address so my users can email him as needed for work reasons.  Now, inbound mail sent to his old address here are being forwarded to his new email address and no such mail forwarding is set on my end.  Now his old mailbox that was deleted & his current 'Contact' entry in AD have the same display name so is it possible Directory Intergration is automatically forwarding to his new address?  If so, would simply renaming the Contact entry resolve this?  I'm not sure which forum so I'm just posting this to 'General Discussions' for now.

Thank you...

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:41 PM

Answers

• On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 14:21:23 +0000, xmr25 wrote:

>
    >
    >I believe I've figured out what is happening. I am in the process of a migration to Windows 2008/Exchange 2010 so there is a two way trust setup between Exch 2003 & 2010 and also recently migrated 'Contacts' to the Windows 2008 AD which includes the Contact entry in question. Also, under the Exchange 2003 ESM - Default SMTP Virtual Server - Properties - Messages tab, I have 'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host' pointing to my Exch2010 so from there it is identifying the 'Contact' entry and forwarding the mail to his new email address at his new company.

That's "the way life should be" (a motto from the state of Maine).

>I had him send me the message header and it shows exactly that path. I have 'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host' pointing to my Exch2010 set for when I start migrating mailboxes.
    >
    >I went ahead and removed the 'Contact' entry in Windows 2008 AD and sent him a test mail and awaiting on a reply to see if he receives the test mail addressed to his old address. I will update when I hear back.

If you sent him a message addressed to his e-mail address in YOUR
    domain and there's no such address you should have received a NDR in
    short order. If you didn't get a NDR then there's still something in
    your AD that knows about the address.

If his "old address" in in some other domain then it's up to that
    organization to handle the e-mail.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by xmr25 Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:44 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think the Admin forum should be right. But lets give me a try:

using Exchange 2003 you don´t need a contact in order to forward mails for a mailbox to another.

So I think there might be a mailbox with a configured forwarding (Exchange Management) or with a configured filter (Outlook or Outlook Web Access).

Have you checked this?

Perhaps you are able to use the messagetrackinglog in order to do some debugging. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Message-Tracking-Logging.html

The idea is to check the log for the reason of forwarding the message.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:33 PM
  • On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:41:32 +0000, xmr25 wrote:

>I'm running Exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 domain. A certain former employee left our company a while back so I removed his user account & mailbox from AD & ESM. After that I added a new Contact entry in AD for him with his new email address so my users can email him as needed for work reasons. Now, inbound mail sent to his old address here are being forwarded to his new email address and no such mail forwarding is set on my end. Now his old mailbox that was deleted & his current 'Contact' entry in AD have the same display name so is it possible Directory Intergration is automatically forwarding to his new address? If so, would simply renaming the Contact entry resolve this? I'm not sure which forum so I'm just posting this to 'General Discussions' for now.

Are you sure that your recipient policies didn't add the SMTP address
    as a secondary proxy address to the contact object?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:54 AM
  • I believe I've figured out what is happening.  I am in the process of a migration to Windows 2008/Exchange 2010 so there is a two way trust setup between Exch 2003 & 2010 and also recently migrated 'Contacts' to the Windows 2008 AD which includes the Contact entry in question.  Also, under the Exchange 2003 ESM - Default SMTP Virtual Server - Properties - Messages tab, I have 'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host' pointing to my Exch2010 so from there it is identifying the 'Contact' entry and forwarding the mail to his new email address at his new company.  I had him send me the message header and it shows exactly that path.  I have  'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host' pointing to my Exch2010 set for when I start migrating mailboxes.

I went ahead and removed the 'Contact' entry in Windows 2008 AD and sent him a test mail and awaiting on a reply to see if he receives the test mail addressed to his old address.  I will update when I hear back. 

If there is a better way to resolve this please post.

Thank you...

Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:21 PM
  • On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 14:21:23 +0000, xmr25 wrote:

>
    >
    >I believe I've figured out what is happening. I am in the process of a migration to Windows 2008/Exchange 2010 so there is a two way trust setup between Exch 2003 & 2010 and also recently migrated 'Contacts' to the Windows 2008 AD which includes the Contact entry in question. Also, under the Exchange 2003 ESM - Default SMTP Virtual Server - Properties - Messages tab, I have 'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host' pointing to my Exch2010 so from there it is identifying the 'Contact' entry and forwarding the mail to his new email address at his new company.

That's "the way life should be" (a motto from the state of Maine).

>I had him send me the message header and it shows exactly that path. I have 'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host' pointing to my Exch2010 set for when I start migrating mailboxes.
    >
    >I went ahead and removed the 'Contact' entry in Windows 2008 AD and sent him a test mail and awaiting on a reply to see if he receives the test mail addressed to his old address. I will update when I hear back.

If you sent him a message addressed to his e-mail address in YOUR
    domain and there's no such address you should have received a NDR in
    short order. If you didn't get a NDR then there's still something in
    your AD that knows about the address.

If his "old address" in in some other domain then it's up to that
    organization to handle the e-mail.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

• Marked as answer by xmr25 Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:44 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:39 PM
  • I indeed received an NDR so it's resolved.

Thanks

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:44 PM