none
Migrate DNS without downtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have 2 Internal DNS on domain controllers, and one external DNS in DMZ. We have some issues with external DNS windows. I have to reinstall the OS. We don't want any downtime and the renewed OS has to have same IP and configurations.

Could anyone please tell me about the steps? 

Thanks in advance

Monday, February 5, 2018 8:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There is a step-by-step article for you:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/323383/how-to-replace-the-current-primary-dns-server-with-a-new-primary-dns-s

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ghasem Shams Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply 

I need to know about servers hostname. assume old DNS is named as ns1.domain.com and I installed new DNS as ns2.domain.com. after following all steps mentioned in this link I have to shut down NS1 and change name and IP address of new DNS as old DNS, Right? If I do so I wont experience any problem about clients and Internet domain name registration to propagate the change of IP address?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:11 AM
  • Hi,

When you use the same IP address for a live domain on the Internet, you can prevent downtime that may occur while waiting for your Internet domain name registration authority to propagate the change of the IP address.

Best Regards,
    Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Thanks a lot. last question: What about Host name? it doesn't matter?
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

>>What about Host name? it doesn't matter?

It's OK.

If your old dns server in the domain, I suggest you uninstall DNS role and remove it from domain after your new dns server has completed zone transfer. 

Best Regards,

Frank

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:00 AM