Live Messenger conflicts with Windows 7 RTM??? RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled my Windows 7 RTM due to activation issue - activated Windows 7 successfully but the watermark - your copy of windows is not genuine keeps appearing at the right bottom of the desktop.

After reinstalling Windows 7 RTM, I could not sign-in the Live Messenger under this environment:
    - Windows Firewall: disabled
    - Router: DMZ function enabled
    - No firewall software installed
    - No proxy
    - Every settings are not yet modified

The error code is 80048820.

I can sign-in Live Messenger under Windows XP, Windows Vista.

Please tell me how to solve this problem. Thank you very much.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I noticed that you have done lots of research and troubleshoot, additionally, I would like to propose the following suggestions to narrow down the issue:

1. What is the version of Windows Live Messenger? You'd better get the latest version of Windows Live Messenger from the following website.

http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger

2. Make sure that the system date and time settings are correct and update them if it is required.

1) Press Win + R to open a run box and type: control timedate.cpl in the run box, then hint Enter.
    2) In Date and Time property box, check the year, date and time, make sure they are set correct.
    3) Click Ok then sign in Windows Live Messenger again to see how it works.

3. Perform a clean installation of Messenger.

1) Remove Messenger from the computer in Program and Features.

2) Remove the temporary files and folders from the computer.

a.    Click Start button and type: cleanmgr in the search box, then hint Enter.

b.    Delete the following options:

Downloaded Program Files

Temporary Internet Files

Temporary files

Hibernation File Cleaner

Setup Log Files

Recycle Bin

Thumbnails

c.    Confirm deletion of the files, and then run the Disk Cleanup utility.

3) Delete Messenger-related cache files, please locate the following folders and delete cache files.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

%USERPROFILE%\Contacts\

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Users Live ID>\Sharing Folders

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Users Live ID>\SharingMetaData

4) Delete Messenger-associated registry keys.

Please note: you’d better back up your registry before deleting it.

a.    Click Start, type CMD in the Search bar, and then press ENTER to open the command window. 

b.    Type the following commands exactly as they appear below. Press ENTER after you type each command to execute the command.

Note In some case you may encounter the error that the key does not exist. If you have typed the command correctly, this may be because the key has already been removed or does not exist on your machine.

If you are using Messenger 8.1 or an earlier version, type the following commands.

Note Type the commands exactly as they appear below, including the quotation marks.

REG DELETE HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f

REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Communications Clients\Shared" /f

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL /f

If you are using Messenger 8.5 or a later version, type the following commands.

Note Type the commands exactly as they appear below, including the quotation marks.

REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger' /f

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f

REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Communications Clients\Shared" /f

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL /f 

5) Restart the computer and reinstall Windows Live Messenger.

6) Sign in to see if it works.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:24 AM