Skype for Business 2016 crashes at splash screen with the faulting module being KernelBase.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen dozens of similar threads but none of the suggestions offered worked. I've tried:

• completely reinstalling Office 2016 (the rest of the Office suite works fine)
    • replacing KernelBase.dll from a working computer
    • removing recent updates pertaining to Skype
    • running sfc /scannow
    • updating drivers
    • using a new local profile
    • cleaning the registry

I would like to avoid reimaging the PC if at all possible. Running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro with 32-bit Office 2016.

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of office are you using ? click to run (office365) or the normal office version ?

Did you also installed the latest updates ?

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by mberemand Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:36 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Hi mberemand,

For this issue, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1.Install the latest update for your SFB client
    2.Repair Office.
    3.Please try to uninstall video and audio drivers on this PC and then install the Windows default drivers to have a try.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:50 AM
  • I am using the normal msi-installed Office 2016. All the latest updates were installed, hence why I tried removing some of the more recent Skype-related updates instead of looking for new ones.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:47 PM
  • SFB client is up to date.

I have already attempted to repair Office and also tried reinstalling it completely.

I will try updating the drivers, but it doesn't make sense to use the limited Windows default drivers as a permanent solution, assuming that would even work.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Hi Mberemand,

You can also check your uccapilog with snooper if there are any errors in it, maybe you can find the root cause. You can find the logs in the following path:

Lync 2013: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\Tracing

Skype for Business: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\Tracing

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by mberemand Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:29 PM