My Computer,My Document, Control Panel etc. they all disapeared RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI, im not really a pro with computers but i know a little bit . I have an Acer Aspire with Windows XP.

Ive instaled Norton Internet security today and now...i cant see My Document, My Computer, Control Panel or even my Dekstop option.

I cant see them on my Start menu anymore. PLus there is this Desktop pic of "Buy Privacy Protection Service now" with the Url Link with it. When i tried to right click my properties on my desktop it says " Your system administrator has disabled the Display control panel".

Im able to access My Document via a shortcut. But my C: is not accessible. I will try to scan my comp for a 2nd time but can u guys tell me anything about my situation ( if u ever heard of a problem like this)?

I think its a virus thats hiding them...plz help

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:12 AM

Answers

•  

Hi, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP issue. As this forum focuses on SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:55 AM

All replies

• oh wait, its ok now but i still have some problems left.

1. My C: is still not accessible from " My computer".

2. There is a text"Virus Alert" next to my clock.

3. My Display control panel is still disabled.

can any1 help?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  

Hi, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP issue. As this forum focuses on SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:55 AM
  • I have the same problem. My screen is also partially displayed. Please help asap.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:42 AM