Themes & Visual Styles for both Vista and XP, Using Third Party (Non-Microsoft) Visual Styles/ Themes without "uxTheme Hack" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

This was originally posted in the neowin.net forum:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=706522

It is also posted here under - MSDN Forums » Software Development for Windows Vista » Search, Organize and Visualize in Windows Vista - as well and here is the link for that:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4212481&SiteID=1&mode=1                           

The requirement is to be able to create an installer/setup file, which can install a Windows Visual Style(*.msstyles) in both Vista and Windows XP. Since, the Visual Style files (*.msstyles) of Vista and XP are not interchangeably compatible (i.e. I can't use an XP visual style in Vista & vice versa).

There is a tool called TuneUp Styler (part of the TuneUp Utilities 2009 suite) which does this job of installing visual style files. Though even this tool is unable to convert an XP Visual Style into a Vista compatible one.

Now, the requirement is to find the command or syntax to install an XP visual style in XP and vista visual style in vista. That is.. we need the internal command that TuneUp Styler uses to install the visual styles.

If we are able to figure this much out, then all we need to do is check the OS version in the installer and run the appropriate command with respective Visual Style.

Any help in this regard is welcome.

Kind Regards,

Ram

Friday, December 5, 2008 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi RAM

You need to follow up with this subject on the MSDN Developer Forums where you first posted.

These Vista IT Forums are focused on the end user.

Thanks for understanding and I wish you success.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:39 PM