none
DPM reporting DCOM 10009 error every 30 minutes for server that doesn't exist RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Protection Group that includes several Hyper-V virtual machines. I recently deleted one of the VMs and removed it from the Protection Group, but now DPM is reporting a DCOM error every 30 minutes referencing the former VM:

"Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          7/18/2010 7:00:31 PM
    Event ID:      10009
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      dpm.shs.ucd
    Description:
    DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer VLABDEV.shs.ucd using any of the configured protocols."

Again, this server (vlabdev.shs.ucd) doesn't exist any more. How can I make it stop doing this? It's not showing anything wrong in the DPM console, but it is filling up my email with errors.

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:06 AM

Answers

• If you use DPM 2007 - in DPM console/Management/Agents select the deleted server. In the Details section click Remove the record of the computer from this DPM server . This will remove the orphaned server from the DPM.

In DPM 2010 you can use Remove-Productionserver.ps1 script to remove agent record. The syntax is

Remove-Productionserver.ps1 <DPM server name> <protected server name>

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hey,

Did you also removed the server from the Agents?  (This is under the Management Tab)

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Monday, July 19, 2010 9:30 AM
  • If you use DPM 2007 - in DPM console/Management/Agents select the deleted server. In the Details section click Remove the record of the computer from this DPM server . This will remove the orphaned server from the DPM.

In DPM 2010 you can use Remove-Productionserver.ps1 script to remove agent record. The syntax is

Remove-Productionserver.ps1 <DPM server name> <protected server name>

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:26 AM
  • The missing server is a virtual machine that was backed up from its' host server; it did not have the DPM agent installed on it directly. The missing server was never listed under the Agents tab. The host server is the one with the DPM agent installed.

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:14 AM