none
Migration from ILM to FIM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a slightly odd request for migration. I am being asked to create a solution whereby FIM can initially act as a connected data source to ILM.

Essentially all new connectors will go to FIM and all old ones will be migrated over time, but the initial solution proposed is to use FIM as just another connected data source and push user add/update/deletes to FIM from ILM.

Now I know an MA doesn't exist for this, so an extensible one would need to be written to achieve this.

However, is this a good idea?

Has anyone actually done it this way, or do people just generally do a big bang, copy everything, fix up code issues, import, join and then release?

Cheers,

Martin

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:01 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I think doing the DB Upgrade method (reuse Database on install) is the preferred method mostly.

It isnt also the bing think that it sounds like, most of the MAs schould work well after upgrade to FIM, you just have to have an eye on the 32/64 bit thing.

The only way of connecting two MIIS/ILM/FIM solutions is using a LDAP (AD-LDS/ADAM), i remember there was a documentation on this in the early MIIS times but can find it any more.

Let the old ILM and the new FIM connect to this LDAP to share the objects between them.

But i would still preferr the first method, building a testlab from the production system and check if everything will work or needed steps/updates to do.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Martin Abbott Friday, November 15, 2013 6:39 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think doing the DB Upgrade method (reuse Database on install) is the preferred method mostly.

It isnt also the bing think that it sounds like, most of the MAs schould work well after upgrade to FIM, you just have to have an eye on the 32/64 bit thing.

The only way of connecting two MIIS/ILM/FIM solutions is using a LDAP (AD-LDS/ADAM), i remember there was a documentation on this in the early MIIS times but can find it any more.

Let the old ILM and the new FIM connect to this LDAP to share the objects between them.

But i would still preferr the first method, building a testlab from the production system and check if everything will work or needed steps/updates to do.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Martin Abbott Friday, November 15, 2013 6:39 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Yeah that'd be my preferred approach, just go ahead and do it but sadly that's not the way they want to go.

Understood on using an LDAP source as an intermediary, we'll have lots of new attributes to add but no major ask.

Thanks for info.

Martin

Friday, November 15, 2013 6:39 AM
  • You could use a SQL database as an intermediary too - done this many times. Using AD LDS gives you free deltas though which is a performance win.

Thanks, Brian

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:52 PM