Unable to backup with designer RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to backup the site with designer I get a message that the disk is full.   What disk is it talking abount.  I have over 100 Gigs on my system where I have designer and 20 Gigs on one SharePoint Server and  50 Gigs on another.

JimK

Monday, July 9, 2012 7:14 PM

Answers

• JimK --

Unfortunately, SharePoint Designer's backup and restore functionality only can only protect target content that is 24 MB in size or smaller. This is because SPD's backup and restore operations use the SharePoint 2007 Content Migration APIs rather than its Backup and Restore APIs, and those are limited to a maximum size of 24 MB. If you want to backup a target with content larger in size than that limit, you're going to need to use SharePoint's Backup and Restore tools in either the SharePoint Central Administration site or the STSADM command line administration tool, SQL Server backups of the farm's content databases, or a third party backup/restore tool.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• JimK --

Unfortunately, SharePoint Designer's backup and restore functionality only can only protect target content that is 24 MB in size or smaller. This is because SPD's backup and restore operations use the SharePoint 2007 Content Migration APIs rather than its Backup and Restore APIs, and those are limited to a maximum size of 24 MB. If you want to backup a target with content larger in size than that limit, you're going to need to use SharePoint's Backup and Restore tools in either the SharePoint Central Administration site or the STSADM command line administration tool, SQL Server backups of the farm's content databases, or a third party backup/restore tool.

John

My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:05 PM
  • The entire site collection smaller that 24 Gigs so the site is small.

Can I use the stsamd command to back up just a site?

JimK

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:27 PM
  • The backup in STSADM only works with a top level site and the site I am trying to move is not a top level site. 

JimK

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:48 PM
  • You can use STSADM's Export operation to target a subsite (known as a web in the SharePoint object model) within a site collection. That may work for you, but just keep in mind that the Export operation is not a full-fidelity backup like the Backup operation is. It should copy your content all right, but if you have any customizations or specific configurations in it such as security settings or perhaps workflows configured those may not come across exactly as you had them set up in the original source.

John

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:10 AM