Service Provider Licensing & Office 365... RRS feed

• Question

• I would really like some clarity on a very specific point of Microsoft Licensing... hopefully somebody can help (or point me in the right direction).

Can a Service Provider leveraging SPLA licensing to support a hosted RDS environment, supplement that environment with the Online Service elements of Office 365 (Exchange, SharePoint, Skype for Business online)?

In other words, as a customer of a Cloud Service Provider I am renting an RDS Server / Domain Controllers etc. which I am paying for monthly under SPLA. I could pay for Exchange SALs, and an additional server to host Exchange, but it's potentially (almost certainly :)) cheaper for me to subscribe to E1 and use SPLA provided Office to access an Office 365 mailbox. Is this permitted?

Appreciate this is a very specific question; I'm not necessarily looking for a "Yes / No", more an informed opinion based on knowledge of licensing - ideally backed up by some "official" Microsoft text. The consensus (based on advice I have received) is that this is not allowed, although i can find nothing to substantiate this in the Online Services Agreement, Online Service Definition, or Product Use Rights documents.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer?

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:57 PM

All replies

• Did you ever get an answer to this?

Jeremy Heymann Market Mentor Online

Monday, July 20, 2020 4:09 AM