none
IE 8 Internet Exlorer Security Settings into a reg file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm trying to create a reg file for settings below. I have no idea how to even start! I tried search for it but I couldn't find much since I don't know how I can search for it.

In internet explorer options, Under Security, Trusted sites, Custom Level, and under this I chose 3 options

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not  marked as safe for scripting (Enable) this is under ActiveX controls and plug-ins

Automatic prompting for file downloads (Enable) this is under downloads

Display mixed content (Enable) Miscellaneous

Also Reset custom settings change that to low instead if Medium.

How can create reg file for these settings. If someone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not a coder so I have no idea but we use these settings every day!

Thank you

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:20 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to create a reg file for settings below.

You can use ProcMon filtering on Operation Is RegSetValue (and if necessary Process Name is  iexplore.exe  or  explorer.exe  depending on how you do your example toggle.)   That would give you the Value name and the Path to the key involved.   So then you could code a  reg.exe  command(s) to do the same operation(s).   (You may find that more than one value gets changed when you ostensibly make one change using the UI; so you might need to simulate all of the changes not just the most apparent ones.)

An alternative method of discovering what has changed would be exporting entire keys after each step and then doing comparisons of those from each state.   Using the iediagcmd.exe would be a related method if you weren't even sure which keys were involved.  

BTW you have just made me check to see if iediagmcd.exe is still in IE11.  It's there but only as a 64-bit program.  Who knew?  Thanks for making me find this!

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Hey

That's awesome. If you could, I'd really appreciate it. I'll also try ProcMon and iedigcmd.exe and I'm glad I could help you in some way :)

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Were you able to get this to work?

thanks

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:06 PM