none
Project Online External User Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm testing the Project Online Preview and I would like to share the deliverables list on a project site with an external user (a client for example); so I configured the site collection with Project Web App to the "Allow external users who accept sharing invitations and sign in as authenticated users" option. Then I tried to share the list with an external e-mail with a Microsoft account, but the invitation email was not sent.

External Sharing on SharePoint admin Center is configured on "Allow both external users who accept sharing invitations and anonymous guest links" and my PWA site works in S"harePoint Permission Mode".

The same procedure on a classic SharePoint site collection work perfectly.

Any suggestions, please?

Matteo

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:48 PM

Answers

• Circling back after an e-mail dialog with Rolly and sharing our findings.  It looks like something changed here and the ability to add licenses to guest users via the Admin Center seems to have gone away.  I just successfully invited and added an external user account to my PWA with a live.com account but then had to use PowerShell to add a license.  See the article here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/powershell/assign-licenses-to-user-accounts-with-office-365-powershell and the commands I used were:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Connect-MsolService
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-MsolAccountSku
    This list your sku’s – useful for copy/pasting into the following commands.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-MsolUser -all -UnlicensedUsersOnly
    This will list the guest just added - and they will need a usage location set before adding licenses.  Mine is US - yours of course may be different.  I'm guessing Rolly's will be CA.
    Then use the following – and you can copy/paste the UPN form the output of the last command.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName "<user principal name>" -UsageLocation US
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName "<user principal name>"  -AddLicenses “<yourtenant>:PROJECTONLINE_PLAN_2"
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName "<user principal name>"  -AddLicenses "<yourtenant>:ENTERPRISEPACK"

It can take a short while before the license is seen - logging out and back might help if you got the "do not have a license" message.

Best regards,

Brian.

Best regards,

Brian Smith

Senior Escalation Engineer, Project Support

Blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/brismith  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, December 29, 2017 4:50 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This may not help, but I seem to recall someone telling me that this is not possible with Project Server Online.  You may want to repost the question on the Project Online forum though.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:51 AM
  • Well, that's embarrassing.  This is the Project Online forum.  I guess I forgot which forum I'd navigated to. :-)

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:04 AM
  • Hello,

I got some of the external users to work.  I am still trying to sort it out, but thought I will give you what I found.

The external user that I got work was another user in another domain, but the account was separate domain in a Office365.  I have not been successful so far with an external account, that was not part of the Office 365.

Here is what I did to get it to work.

1) Login into an Office 365 account.  Let's call it OFFICE999.

2) Then paste the link from my PWA site into browser.

3) Access was denied, but page provide me a link to Request Access

4) Then jump to my Office 365 account with PWA. Went to the PWA site and click on Settings icon and then site settings.

5) click on "Access request and Invitation"

6) under the Pending request, approved user and put the user as "Project Web APp Visitor"

7) Jump back to the Office999 and read my email, click on the link.

8) I got access denied again

9) When back to Office 365 PWA Admin account and added user to PWA users

10) went back to Office999 account, refreshed the screen and get access to PWA site,

11) BUT it says account doesn't have a LICENSE.  So I am at that point trying to find out how to give an external user a license.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:05 AM
  • The licenses can usually be given under Admin, Office 365 Preview, Users and Groups and then click the users name.  I haven't added an external user though - so not sure if they will show up in the usual list.  Michael? Do you see your Office999 user in your Users and Groups?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:34 AM
    Owner
  • No, I didn't find a place to provide a license for the external user.

And, I could only get an external user in Project Online when they are external users from Office 365 of another domain.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:03 AM
  • I'll get this scenario validated - but that does make sense from a licensing and infrastructure perspective - they would have to exist and be known to O365.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:32 AM
    Owner
  • Just to confirm - Project Online does not support External Users - all people accessing Project Online need to be users in the same Office 365 tenant with licenses assigned.

Best regards,

Brian.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:46 PM
    Owner
  • Tanks Brian for confirming, that's what I was thinking to reply when I read the title of this thread.

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Wow, so this completely rules out Project Online for any organization that has external clients. If I want to have a SharePoint extranet for my project, I can invite external users to it no problem. But there is no possible way to let them view project tasks, start, and end dates if I want to use Project Online internally for timesheets and portfolio management unless I want to purchase thousands of project lite licenses. That makes no sense when SharePoint allows for sharing with an unlimited number of external participants license-free. That seems like a huge product disconnect and I'm extremely disappointed. I guess it's time to look at competitors, which is a real shame since we're a Microsoft consulting company.
    • Edited by RobinLehr Friday, March 11, 2016 10:17 PM
    Friday, March 11, 2016 10:11 PM
  • Hi Matteo and others,

you may have seen that this feature has been recently added to the "In Development" section of the Office 365 Roadmap.  According to this site, you'll be able to allow external access to project sites, and license external users for "participation in project management workflows" hopefully meaning allowing them to be team members or project managers...

http://fasttrack.microsoft.com/roadmap#I-58518

Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:20 PM
  • Great!! Thank you.

Matteo

Monday, December 5, 2016 6:14 AM
  • A few weeks ago, I was successful in assigning a product license (Project Online Professional) to an external user. I was elated that this feature was deployed. But unfortunately, it must have been a temporary production test by the development team, as the feature is no longer available.

But good thing I took a screenshot to prove that it worked (see image). The first external user was the one I was able to assign the license a few weeks ago and second external user was created 2 days ago.

So if the Project Dev Team is reading this...
    assigning a product license to an External User (Guest) works! :-) 

When can we see it Live in production?

Rolly

Friday, December 29, 2017 12:20 AM
  • This should still be working Rolly - it wasn't a test and has been live for a while.  Exactly what happened when you tried to assign the license to the new guest account?  Can that same guest get access to SharePoint pages ok as a guest?  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Using-Project-Online-with-external-users-f305a365-3d81-48bc-a3d0-4260e7326899 

Best open a support case if this still isn't working for you.

Best regards,

Brian

Best regards,

Brian Smith

Blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/brismith  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, December 29, 2017 2:14 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian, when I select the external user in O365 Admin Center, the option to add product license has been removed (or masked)

When I assign an Internal user and an External user to a Task in a project and publish the project, they are added to the Team Members (Project Web App Synchronized) group.

However when the External attempts to access the project site, he receives the "You need permission to access this site" message. He makes the request and I approve it and then he can get access to the project site. But in regards to access to the PWA site, he receives the following error message:

As far as opening a support case...
    I already started a support ticket with the Office 365 team and they wrote back to me:

Office 365 Ticket #30126-7028160
    "Thank you for your timely response. Unfortunately, I will not be able to escalate this case as the Office 365 functions are operating as they should. As I have advised, we are unable to confirm with you how you have done this previously as this is not currently (nor was to our knowledge) an available function to assign a license to an external/guest user. As this feature is not available, it states that there is not an official error with your account so there will be no further action we can take to resolve this matter."

Sounds like a miscommunication in the channel somewhere.

Friday, December 29, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hmm, can you e-mail me the contact details for that case?  I don't have access to the Office 365 ticketing system but seems like they should have read the article I linked to.  I'll also check it out on my tenant.  I do notice though that your working guest user is an Office 365 account and the non-working does not appear to be (but could be a custom domain).  The article mentions under adding users as you go - "The advantage of this method is that the site can be easily shared with anyone who has an Office 365 or Microsoft account."  Does adding another O365 account still work?

Best regards,

Brian.

Best regards,

Brian Smith

Friday, December 29, 2017 3:26 PM
    Owner
  • Circling back after an e-mail dialog with Rolly and sharing our findings.  It looks like something changed here and the ability to add licenses to guest users via the Admin Center seems to have gone away.  I just successfully invited and added an external user account to my PWA with a live.com account but then had to use PowerShell to add a license.  See the article here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/powershell/assign-licenses-to-user-accounts-with-office-365-powershell and the commands I used were:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Connect-MsolService
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-MsolAccountSku
    This list your sku’s – useful for copy/pasting into the following commands.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-MsolUser -all -UnlicensedUsersOnly
    This will list the guest just added - and they will need a usage location set before adding licenses.  Mine is US - yours of course may be different.  I'm guessing Rolly's will be CA.
    Then use the following – and you can copy/paste the UPN form the output of the last command.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName "<user principal name>" -UsageLocation US
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName "<user principal name>"  -AddLicenses “<yourtenant>:PROJECTONLINE_PLAN_2"
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName "<user principal name>"  -AddLicenses "<yourtenant>:ENTERPRISEPACK"

It can take a short while before the license is seen - logging out and back might help if you got the "do not have a license" message.

Best regards,

Brian.

Best regards,

Brian Smith

Friday, December 29, 2017 4:50 PM
    Owner
  • Worked like a charm Brian
    Many thanks for the PowerShell solution!

Hopefully the O365 Team will fix the Web UI soon.

Cheers,

Rolly

Friday, December 29, 2017 6:07 PM