none
Hyper-V Co-location Not Using Available Space RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running SCDPM 2012 SP1, but have seen the same issue under 2010.  I have kept the default co-location factor of 8, but have increased the default co-location replica size to 700GB via the registry.  Almost all of my VMs have a single 60GB fixed size VHD and 1GB-24GB of memory.  8 x 60GB + some extra space for memory dumps, etc = 550GB MAX.  That leaves at least 150GB for expansion.  The problem is that SCDPM doesn't want to co-locate the 7th or 8th VMs.  Sometimes I can "trick" it into allowing all 8 to be co-located by changing the order that I add the VMs (ie add a specific set for 1-6, then add 7, and then 8), but not always.  Here is a current example.  I have 7 VMs co-located on a single replica volume which currently consume 423.5GB out of 700GB.  When I try to add an eighth that SCDPM says needs ~68GB it goes to create a new set of volumes instead of using the existing ones.  I wouldn't care so much if this was running on a SAN where I could thin/over provision, but this is running on a single 8x2TB RAID6 volume and I can't afford to allocate massive amounts of unused free space.  Can anyone explain why this is happening and/or tell me how to resolve it?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm glad to see you being proactive and optimizing the storage for Hyper-V co-location, but I cannot explain the behavior or have any ideas for you except to open a support case for investigation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:24 PM