Can't read SD card - showed up as "generic volume" in device manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer my photos from my SD card using my laptop's built in card reader. It's been working fine up until a few days a go when I realised that it was no longer showing up as a storage volume in "my computer". So I opened up the device manager, which detected a "generic volume" (with a "!" sign next to the icon) whenever I plug my SD card into the reader.

I thought it could be a problem with my card reader, so I tried using my camera as a card reader, but the same thing happened again, so I don't think it was my card reader's problem. It could also be a problem with the SD card, but the fact that it worked fine with my camera made it unlikely. I also tried reading another SD card using the card reader, but the same problem happened again.

I tried the solution posted in another thread (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=5&SiteID=17&PageID=5&PostID=1254561) but it did not solve my problem. So I'm out of ideas now. Can any one help me?

Thanks very much!!

Saturday, November 22, 2008 6:56 AM

Answers

• Right.... I've found the culprit!! It's Acronis True Image Home!! Apparently there is an issue with USB card readers not being seen after the latest Windows Updates.

My laptop was able to detect the SD card straight away after I uninstalled it. Problem solved!!

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:38 PM

All replies

• Just an update. I tried reading the SD card with another computer, it worked fine, so it wasn't the SD card's fault. But still can't get it to work with my laptop for some reason. Please.... help!!!

Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Right.... I've found the culprit!! It's Acronis True Image Home!! Apparently there is an issue with USB card readers not being seen after the latest Windows Updates.

My laptop was able to detect the SD card straight away after I uninstalled it. Problem solved!!

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:38 PM