Start up problem with windows 7/XP activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there!

On my computer, my OS is windows 7.  One day I forgot to remove my USB flash drive and my computer gave me an error starting up.  After I removed it, my start-up has never been the same.  It starts up in Windows 7 fine, but before I can go to the screen to type-in my password, the start-up goes to windows XP with the infinite activation loop.  The only trick to circumvent getting to the loop is pressing F8 and starting up via that route--it takes me to the screen where I can enter my password to log into my activated copy of windows 7. When logged in, I scanned the flash drive in question and it is not corrupted nor does it have a virus.

What is happening to my machine?  How do I fix it? Thanks,

C_f

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to repair boot information, you can rebuild BCD using the Bootrec.exe tool.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    3. Click Repair your computer.
    4. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    6. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER. Refer the following link for more information:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:19 AM