none
Windows cannot connect to printer. No printer found

Question

• Issue:

When trying to map network printer from our print server onto TS session using login script users receive the error "windows cannot connect to the printer. No printers were found." When I go to the devices and printers list the printers are there and print just fine. How can I get rid of the error message though? There is no error code with the message. Also, the error message does not appear on everyone's session on the TS, it only happens to specific people.

Environment: 

Terminal Server running windows server 2008 R2 Standard 

Print Server running windows server 2008 R2 Standard

• Edited by RocklynW Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:42 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi RocklynW,

à the error message does not appear on everyone's session on the TS, it only happens to specific people.

Please logon the Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Print Server, open Print Management and navigate to those printers which will be mapped by using logon script, please open printer Properties and check printer permissions of those problematic users.

Meanwhile, please refer to following KB and check if it can help you.

"Client Side Rendering Print Provider" registry key growth on a Windows Server 2008 R2-based Remote Desktop Session Host server

If this issue still exists, please follow the path in Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers and check if find Client Side Rendering Print Provider registry key. Please backup all registry entries to avoid unexpected issues before any operation, then delete the Client Side Rendering Print Provider registry key and reboot the machine. Please check if this issue still exists.

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi RocklynW,

à the error message does not appear on everyone's session on the TS, it only happens to specific people.

Please logon the Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Print Server, open Print Management and navigate to those printers which will be mapped by using logon script, please open printer Properties and check printer permissions of those problematic users.

Meanwhile, please refer to following KB and check if it can help you.

"Client Side Rendering Print Provider" registry key growth on a Windows Server 2008 R2-based Remote Desktop Session Host server

If this issue still exists, please follow the path in Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers and check if find Client Side Rendering Print Provider registry key. Please backup all registry entries to avoid unexpected issues before any operation, then delete the Client Side Rendering Print Provider registry key and reboot the machine. Please check if this issue still exists.

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Sorry it took so long to get back on this. We put this project on hold for now so I was not able to test any of the recommendations.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Sorry to Necro the thread but this may help others. Above is only part of the solution. Once those keys are removed the registry still maintains the original size and needs to be compressed after growing that large.

To compress a hive use the command reg save (ex. reg save HKLM\software c:\software.reg -c (-c is to compress) then boot the machine to a boot disk and replace the old bloated reg hive with the new one. Reg files for windows are located at c:\windows\system32\config.

Friday, May 25, 2018 4:34 PM
  • The problem is CSR saves the printers even if the profile is deleted.  And if the same user logs in again, it tries to add the printers back, even if the printers are no longer in a login script or group policy.  These registry entries seem to keep that area clean.  I don't know where they are documented (384 is seconds in hex):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider]
    "InactiveGuidPrinterAge"=dword:00000384
    "ActiveGuidPrinterAge"=dword:00000384
    "InactiveGuidPrinterTrim"=dword:00000384
    "RemovePrintersAtLogoff"=dword:00000001

And this is kind of a "nuclear option" to clean up the registry.  I can't be sure it's complete.  It requires psexec to run as the system user (powershell):

Get-Service *spool* | Stop-Service
    & c:\tools\PsExec.exe -accepteula -s -i reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SWD\PRINTENUM" /f
    & c:\tools\PsExec.exe -accepteula -s -i reg delete          
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{0ecef634-6ef0-472a-8085-5ad023ecbccd}" /f                                                               
    & c:\tools\PsExec.exe -accepteula -s -i reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider" /f
    Get-Service *spool* | Start-Service

CSR and the fact that the print spooler service listens on a high undocumented random port have been the biggest challenges in printing for me.  Windows 10 will also change the default printer to the last printer used, but that's easy to disable.

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:56 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 5:59 PM