WSUS stopped delivering WIn10 Upgrade 1511 after 1607 release RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

We have a strange Problem.

We are running a WSUS Server on Server 2012 (not R2), patched it with everything neccessary to deliver Windows 10 Upgrades and it worked until a few days ago(time 1607 was released?). We were able to update about 150 of our 200 Windows 10 Build 10240 boxes of our customers to 1511 before, but now, no 10240 machine get´s the 1511 (May Edition) offered by WSUS.

Then i started searhing and came across KB3159706.

First I thought, that it can´t be because it describes 1607 Upgrade and future ones and other packages using ESD. But I gave it a try and followed the Instructions. It worked perfectly as described, but does not resolve the Issue, that 1511 will not be offerred any more.

Now I tried to install a new 2016TP5 based WSUS, to ensure it is not a issue with 2012 WSUS 3.0 SP2 (and Patches), but 2016TP5 WSUS does the same Thing. Then i stumbled over a comment, that 2016 Server WSUS will have KB3159706 Features when it goes RTM, so there is the possibility, that it does not have KB3159706 yet in TP5.

Here our configuration:

* WSUS 3.0 SP2, all Patches on 2012 Server (in Azure)
    * Configured to not deliver packages directly, Clients have to download them from Microsoft (this could be important, because ESD Packages will only be downloaded by CLients not by the WSUS - So what could KB3159706 do on the Server without the ESDs to look in?

What I found interesting so far:

* WSUS marks the previously already working 1511 Upgrade Updates now as "Not Applicable" to the 10240 Clients - thats strange
    * When  I Change Test Clients Windows Update Agent to Microsoft Windows Update directly, the 1511 is ovvered instantly, so there is no issue withe the Clients!
    * The WSUS Update ID of the correct 1511 Upgrade Update is other than this offered by Windows Update
       WSUS knows the March Version with ID:d08ff53d-ce46-4ad1-8abe-538fd192e38f
       WSUS knows the May Version we approved, but is not offered anymore with ID: 1105b447-525e-4192-ba5e-437cbd6c01aa
       Windows Update offers a new (!) Update ID: Upgrade auf Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511, 10586 | 468e4ed0-ee60-4827-9e45-370e77dec143

So, what is going on here? Is it all because of a bug or because we are only Control our Clients with the WSUS, but they have to download directly? Does it have anything to do with 1607 release or KB3159706?

Help please - I invested days already to hunt this down...

Thanks a lot

Thomas 

Friday, August 12, 2016 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Anne,

Thank you for your help, I think the issue is in good Hands for now. In the case we experience this or other Problems with 1607 when we start our rollout, we will consider to open a case with MS.  

Best Regards,

Thomas

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas Buttinger,

This issue is under research, it might be some time delay, we'll feed back as soon as possible, thanks for your patient.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 12:55 AM
  • Hi Tomas Buttinger,

>We were able to update about 150 of our 200 Windows 10 Build 10240 boxes of our customers to 1511 before, but now, no 10240 machine get´s the 1511 (May Edition) offered by WSUS.

After some research, it seems to be possible that the issue is related with the new update to win10 1067. Since 10240 can upgrade to 1067 directly and the system always search for the latest update, so, if you can upgrade to 1067, you may skip 10586.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hi Anne,

thanks for your help and the info, the Problem is, 1607 upgrade is not available on WSUS yet, and my test Client gets only 1511 from Windows Update directly, not 1607, so this is strange. The Client does not know about 1607, so it should take 1511 like it does some days ago.

I think it is a issue with WSUS, that decided that 1511 is not applicable for 10240 any more, what it also tells us with Status "not applicable".

Because we are  upgrading the Clients of our customers  fully automatic in the night, we are testing every Windows 10 Upgrade several weeks, before we approve them on the production WSUS Groups. That and because 1607 is not available for WSUS yet, is the reason we are using 1511 for now. I don´t have any Problem upgrading this last 58 Clients (of about 4000) later with 1607 directly but my concern is, that 1607 could have the same issue when it arrives.

Best wishes,

Tom

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Do you have WSUS set to automatically decline superseded updates? Perhaps it's been declined.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

No, 1511 (released May) is approved for Installation on my Groups, 1511 (released march) is not, because it is superseeded.

1607 was not offered from MS to our WSUS until tonight! I will check now if 1511 is superseeded or if it can be applied again. But anyway, it would be great if we could end our rollout with 1511 until 1607 is tested from our QS, because there are 5-10 Things we have allways to restore to oure Images after a Upgrade. There are some registry Settings and other Things that are destroyed/resetted after applying a Win10 Upgrade.

I will also test if 1607 can be applied to 10240, if not, there will be a bigger Problem.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hi Thomas Buttinger,

Win10 anniversary update is coming to WSUS, I can sync it from MS yesterday. Could you see it in WSUS server, if yes, test if they can be deployed to your clients.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:23 AM
  • Thanks Anne,
    Our WSUS also gets 1607 now and it is APPLICABLE to 10240 and 10586.
    The 1511 (May) is still not, so if this will not be fixed, our 58 Customer Machines that haven´t upgraded yet, have to wait until we approve 1607. This is possible, but has 2 disadvantages:
    1. We have to roll our QS Testing with 10586 and 10240
    2. There are necessary POST Corrections to Registry, Powershell, Networksettings, Browser Favorites, Drivers (DisplayLink) etc. that we we have to to after every win10 Upgrade. A Upgrade resets several Settings. Because of this we have to Analyse every upcoming Upgrade for such Resets, Bugs or Changes before it can be applied to our customer machines.

Below the two Updates 1607 which can be approved and 1511 which can not.
    1511 is not superseeded und 1607 does not superseed 1511.

Best Regards,

Tom

Friday, August 19, 2016 11:46 AM
  • Hi Thomas Buttinger,

Strangely, in my test lab, I can upgrade win10 1511 to 1607 successfully, while many people seems meet the same issue with you that win10 1511 unable to detect the upgrade.

We are still researching it and trying to involve some people familiar with it to join the research. It may take some time, thanks for your patient, we'll feed back as soon as possible. At the same time, if you have any progress, welcome to inform us.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 22, 2016 5:44 AM
  • So so Problem is not depending on the Version?

My Facts:
    a) 10240 to 10586 is not possible anymore, since 1607
    b) I haven´t tested a upgrade from 10586 to 1607 yet, but WSUS does offer it to both 10240 and 10586, so there is a high possibility that the Clients will accept it too.

So, others have a simmilar "not applicable" issue with 10586 to 1607?

I will test this on my virtual machine(s) and reply my results, but it can take some time, because there are other Things to do, but I think I will come back to the upgrade in September.

Best Regards

Tom

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

Sorry, I mixed them. Since there are many posts about win10 1607 upgrade (win10 1511 clients unable to detect 1607 upgrade), I mixed your original question with other posts.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

>b) I haven´t tested a upgrade from 10586 to 1607 yet, but WSUS does offer it to both 10240 and 10586, so there is a high possibility that the Clients will accept it too.

As far as I know, win10 can upgrade to 1607 directly with skipping 1511. So if we can upgrade to 1607 successfully, we may workaround 1511 issues.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Hi Anne!

I followed the link from your first answer, and I think this is the same issue, but with other versions.

The description and the Screens, that I saw in the other Posts are the same, but on my Server it appears with RTM to 1511.

They are having the same Problem, that WSUS does not recognize that the Upgrade is applicable for the clients.

So, I don´t have too much Knowledge of WSUS internals, but I think, WSUS processes Reports of the Clients to decide what to offer. So it could be a Client Report Issue, but I think, because you should allways look at what was changed last, this should be a Wsus Server issue. Server has a Problem bringing "Upgrade meta data with new ESD Information" together with "Clients Edition and Build Information", so it decides that an upgrade is not possible.

And because it happens from RTM to 1511, 1511 to 1607 and also with no Problems by most People, I think the Code in WSUS is flawed instead of the Upgrade Packages or the Client, but without insight in the internals I can also be totally wrong ;) 

And there is another Thing I saw: Server stopped offering BEFORE I installed the ESD KB on the WSUS.
    And another thing I would remove from the list: The Download Option. The other user in your link used downloading the Upgrade, we do not, our Clients download directly from Windows Update.

Best Regards

Tom

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

1. Add the link back:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ab2e57a3-5b89-43c0-a961-d20e2ee9ee47/attempting-to-deploy-windows-10-build-1607-over-wsus-clients-say-theyre-up-to-date?forum=winserverwsus

2. >Server has a Problem bringing "Upgrade meta data with new ESD Information" together with "Clients Edition and Build Information", so it decides that an upgrade is not possible.

This statement is insightful, but as there's no official assertion, so we can't give a confirm conclusion.

3. If you want to get a more satisfying explanation and solve the issue quickly, I would suggest you opening a case with MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

4. At the same time, if we get any useful information, we'll feed back as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for your help, I think the issue is in good Hands for now. In the case we experience this or other Problems with 1607 when we start our rollout, we will consider to open a case with MS.  

Best Regards,

Thomas

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to share your current progress. Hope you could get a solution there.

It's been a pleasant experience working with you. Feel free to contact us if you have any other concerns on this issue or any new questions. We are always at your services.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

The same issue occurs to me, since 1607 upgrade release, 10240 clients reports as not applicable for 1511 upgrade anymore, I tried to decline 1607 upgrade, but it didn't help.

We don't want to upgrade clients to 1607 yet, as we want to test comparability to our environment first.

Windows 7 clients can upgrade to both windows 10 build version.

Any idea why we are forced to upgrade to the latest version?

Thanks,

Shlomi

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:26 PM