Setting up mail in Office365 RRS feed

• Question

• As a non-tech savy person, I recently purchased Office 365, entered my internet service provider email when trying to setup mail, thinking Office would be smart enough to link to my existing email account and that the name had to be the same....what do I know 8-((.  So now I can't sync with my established email on the incoming/outgoing servers for my service provider and can't add that account otherwise because of the naming conflict.  Nowhere have I seen clear instructions on setting up my email through Office 2019.  Do I need to uninstall Microsoft Office Home (2019) and reinstall to fix the problem? Is the name forever blocked from future use on Outlook?  Or do I somehow delete the Outlook email address entered so I can add the service provider account correctly?  Or do I have to set up a whole new email address with my service provider (which I don't view as an acceptable solution).  I'm looking for an action plan to rectify these problems.  Can someone point me in the right direction?
    • Moved by Manu Meng Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:37 AM relocate
    Monday, February 25, 2019 5:51 PM

All replies

• Do a full backup of your e-mails;

Create the records on your public DNS;

You'll need to migrate your MX to Office 365;

After, you will be able to use autodiscover!

“Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answered” - MCSA - MCSE - http://www.ucsteps.com/

Monday, February 25, 2019 6:04 PM
  • You should be able to add your email account in Outlook 2019 using the instructions either from your service provider or the following link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-an-email-account-using-advanced-setup-560a9065-3c3a-4ec5-a24f-cdb9a8d622a2

The procedure is the same for Outlook 2016 or 2019. 

Monday, February 25, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Based on your description, issue is you cannot set up your internet service provider email account in Office 365 Outlook. Since we mainly discuss Exchange server topics in this forum and your issue is more related to Outlook client side, to better resolve it, I will move the thread to Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum.

Thanks a lot for your understandings!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi William,

>>  So now I can't sync with my established email on the incoming/outgoing servers for my service provider and can't add that account otherwise because of the naming conflict.

May I know if there is a detailed error message? If so, could you please provide the message information so that we can do more research on this?

Besides, as you have mentioned both Office 365 and Office 2019, do you mind clarifying which edition of Office you are currently running? This will be helpful for community members to better understand your situation.

For now, please refer to the links shared by Corey Riley and also the article below to check if it can be helpful:

Add an email account to Outlook

What's more, you may consider creating a new Outlook profile and adding the account again to see the result. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 6:39 AM