How to sequence applications without shortcuts (Addins/Plugins)? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an excel addin pacakge which has no shortcuts but the addin gets added in Excel when i install the setup of Addin.

Can anyone please tell me when i sequence any addin package how can i get the addin added in excel as there is no shortcut for the addin application and i do not want the shortcut to be created for every addin that i sequence.

The scenario would be " I will sequence an excel-addin package separately and i want to take Office as a dependency for this package" and when i launch the excel, the excel should be launched along with the addin. Please suggest me how can i do this without creating a separate shortcut for this addin.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:03 AM

Answers

• Kapil,

In App-V 4.5 you can Dynamic Suite the excel addin within the Excel OSD file if Excel/MS office is also virtualized.

If excel/MS office is nog virtualizied or/and you are working with SoftGrid 4.1/4.2, you have to launch the localy installed excel from the add-in package.

Just create a shortcut in the add-inn package for excel.

regards,

Jan van der Elst

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:18 AM

All replies

• Kapil,

In App-V 4.5 you can Dynamic Suite the excel addin within the Excel OSD file if Excel/MS office is also virtualized.

If excel/MS office is nog virtualizied or/and you are working with SoftGrid 4.1/4.2, you have to launch the localy installed excel from the add-in package.

Just create a shortcut in the add-inn package for excel.

regards,

Jan van der Elst

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Right,

the effort could be to sequence the Add-In, because if the Add-In installer checks for Excel, it would not find it on a "clean" Sequencer.

If the Add-In is just something that has to be copied into some sort of Plug-in directroy (and Excel simpley loads all plugins it finds there), then you create a shortcut to locally installed Excel.exe or use Dynamic Suiting (with App-V 4.5).

To go more into details of how to realize one or the other way I'd suggest you choose the method (classical vs. DynamicSuiting) and then we'll see what to do.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Hello Jan ,

If i understand your answer correctly , we need to have a shortcut created for the plugin packae as well in both the cases irespective of whether Excel is native or virtual.
    If excel is native then create shortcut for the plug-in pointing to native excel.
    If excel is virtual then create a dummy shortcut for the plugin and the values from the dummy shortcut OSD for DSC .

Please correct me if i am worng.
    Tony.

Tony
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Any Comments ? Any one. Would appriciate it.
    Tony
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, that seems right and I believe its clarified during the sequencing whitepaper. In general guidaince for sequencing plugins to Internet Explorer should clarify the native scenario, as its the same concept...

/Znack
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:56 PM