Upgrading 2008R2 RODC to 2012R2 RODC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Ladies & Gents,

I will ask for a advice as am bit confused on how should I go upgrading our 2008R2 RODC to 2012R2 RODC.

Can you please correct me if I'm wrong on this steps that I should go through.

Decommission my 2008R2 RODC.  Means Demote and Create a new 2012R2 RODC from scratch or can I go directly upgrading my 2008R2 to 2012R2.

Any advice would be highly appreciated im confused and dont want to affect our primary DC by using Adprep.exe.

Thank you.

Best Regards

Rhyan Ablan

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hi

You should always prefer clean OS for RODC,DC migrations,so you should demote old server 2008 rodc from domain,then clean installation of Server 2012 r2 and promote as RODC to domain.

Also check this detailed article about "Install a Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC)"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574152.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi

You should always prefer clean OS for RODC,DC migrations,so you should demote old server 2008 rodc from domain,then clean installation of Server 2012 r2 and promote as RODC to domain.

Also check this detailed article about "Install a Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC)"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574152.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:06 PM
  • Hi Burak,

Thank you for the advice. 

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Hi Rhyan,

Could you please help to mark the reply as anwser, so that others will get a clear view of the userful one?

Burak is right that the recommended way to upgrade a domain controller is to promote domain controllers that run newer versions of Windows Server and demote older domain controllers as needed.

If you go with in-place upgrade, you might experience unexpected failures.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hi Ethan, Burak, or Others,

One goal also is to use the same Host and IP address.  After the demotion from AD and according to our "MS expert"  that this is not possible on RODC.  Can you please help me or if you can guide me on a good article or Technet as I cannot find any supporting documents.  Thank you again in advance.

Best Regards

Rhyan Ablan

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:50 PM