WSUS keep crashing after installing Kb 3159706 and doing the post installation and enabling HTTP Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings

I am installing my WSUS in windows server 2012 R2 fully updated and SQL 2014 Standard edition fully updated also. hardware specs in dual processor and 16 GB of ram. it handle only wsus no other role installed in this server, and by the freshly installed both windows and sql. after enabling wsus role in the server I got the famous update which is KB3159706 so it crash my wsus for I searched the internet and I found I need to do so manual step to it so I did the post installation and it is successfully done and also I enabled the Http activation and I am not using SSL so I only took the ownership of the file but I didn't edit it. it worked fine for few hours but then it crashed suddenly and iisreset command was solving the issue but for few hours and then it crash again, by the way I did reindexing for the database and it didn't solve the problem. the only thing that solve the problem is to uninstall the KB 3159706 update. but my question is there a way to install the update and make WSUS working correctly did anybody figure out how to do so.

thanks in advance

Hossam

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Hossam Algendi,

Then let's check the WSUS logs locates in WSUS server: C:\program files\update services\logfiles, check "Change.log" first, then find detailed information in "SoftwareDistribution.log".

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Hossam Algendi,

Try re-installing WSUS role from scratch. Un-install WSUS role, remove the content folder and SUSDB, delete WSUS site in IIS. Then re-install WSUS role with KB3159706, check if reinstallation could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:17 AM
  • greetings

I try to reinstall it several time even a complete format for the hard disk, I think this is my 7th or 8th time formatting and reinstalling the complete server I tired WID and SQL I tried everything

Regards

Hossam

Sunday, May 29, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Hi Hossam Algendi,

Then let's check the WSUS logs locates in WSUS server: C:\program files\update services\logfiles, check "Change.log" first, then find detailed information in "SoftwareDistribution.log".

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:08 AM