Lync Client-to-Client Communication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I like to use lync primarily for Presence, IM and Chat. So, for me is not clear if I can use this features if client to client traffic is not permitted in my network. Does someone know which features of lync I can use when client to client communication is not permitted?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are different type of protocols and ports used to flow traffic between P2P. If your reffering to a scenario that the UDP port range is blocked. then you'll lose all sort of A/V (In Conferance as well), Document Sharing, Voice Mail. All communications related to IM will only work.

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2
    • Marked as answer by jstillha Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Hi jstillha,

The Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software protocol workloads poster shows the protocols that are used by each workload in Lync Server 2010, describing relationships, dependencies, the servers that initiate connections, and certificate requirements. This poster provides a snapshot of the network connections between server roles.

This poster provides an understanding of the protocols and ports used for each workload. By isolating the protocols for each media, you can gain a better understanding of how Lync Server works.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:19 AM
  • To client to get connected with the server, you need to keep the port 5061 and 443 open. So in this case the IM, IM Conferance with other users and presence will work.

• Marked as answer by jstillha Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Do you mean , peer to peer client traffic ?

We have an option like peer to server as well through which all lync features would work.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Yes, I mean peer to peer client traffic. So, I can use all features including the Audio/Video conferencing features when peer to peer client traffic is blocked in my network?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

There are different type of protocols and ports used to flow traffic between P2P. If your reffering to a scenario that the UDP port range is blocked. then you'll lose all sort of A/V (In Conferance as well), Document Sharing, Voice Mail. All communications related to IM will only work.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Hi jstillha,

The Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software protocol workloads poster shows the protocols that are used by each workload in Lync Server 2010, describing relationships, dependencies, the servers that initiate connections, and certificate requirements. This poster provides a snapshot of the network connections between server roles.

This poster provides an understanding of the protocols and ports used for each workload. By isolating the protocols for each media, you can gain a better understanding of how Lync Server works.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Thanks all for the information. In my scenario all traffic from one workstation to another will be blocked. Also if the workstations are in the same vlan! Only workstation to server trafffic is permitted. So after studying the poster only IM and Presence is working in my scenario.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:34 AM
  • To client to get connected with the server, you need to keep the port 5061 and 443 open. So in this case the IM, IM Conferance with other users and presence will work.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Ok, thanks.

Best regards.

• Unmarked as answer by jstillha Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:09 AM