error 8024401c after upgrading to 1607 on windows 10 64 bits. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends

I’m getting the error 8024401c on my windows 10 64 bits clients after upgrading to 1607. I’m using WSUS in a Server 2016. The thing is this error only appeared in my 64 bits clients, not in 32 bits ones. After upgrading to 1607 the 32 bits clients can connect to the WSUS server and download updates without any problem.

I hope you can help me to determinate where the problem is.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that 64-bit Windows 10 client failed to update from WSUS after upgrade to 1607.

Windows Update error 0x8024401c signifies that it(WSUS client) was trying to reach a windows update server, but was not able to.

On problematic client, please check below registry and make sure that WUServer and WUStatusServer URL is correct:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

On problematic client, try to added a new registry key, and manually enter your WSUS location:
    HKLM/Software/policies/windows/windowsupdate/UpdateserviceURLalternate

Note that:
    Please back up registry before any change. It is helpful to undo the change via restoring from backup.

Besides, you may try to manually download/install KB4013429 on problematic client and check the result:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4013429

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by romerocja Monday, June 12, 2017 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that 64-bit Windows 10 client failed to update from WSUS after upgrade to 1607.

Windows Update error 0x8024401c signifies that it(WSUS client) was trying to reach a windows update server, but was not able to.

On problematic client, please check below registry and make sure that WUServer and WUStatusServer URL is correct:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

On problematic client, try to added a new registry key, and manually enter your WSUS location:
    HKLM/Software/policies/windows/windowsupdate/UpdateserviceURLalternate

Note that:
    Please back up registry before any change. It is helpful to undo the change via restoring from backup.

Besides, you may try to manually download/install KB4013429 on problematic client and check the result:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4013429

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by romerocja Monday, June 12, 2017 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Thank you so much for your quick answer and help.

Now everything is working fine.

Regards

Juan Angel

Monday, June 5, 2017 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

It’s my pleasure.

If the reply is helpful, please click “Mark as answer”. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:16 AM