none
Windows 10 Update Management

Question

• When a Windows 10 clients updates are managed by SCCM, the Update Settings dialog still presents the users with a "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update" option. How can this be disabled through group policy?

Thanks!

• Changed type Ritmo2k Friday, September 2, 2016 8:33 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 4:16 PM

Answers

• The original question asked how to use a policy to accomplish the question (this is the group policy forum).

The answer for which policy settings is DisableWindowsUpdateAccess which forces the check against the SCCM server. The client in question does not have outbound access, without the setting an error is returned indicating a failure to check occurred, with the setting I can see the response indicates a successful check and the ip traffic suggests it was using the SCCM server.

For some reason, the etl logs on the client were empty so I just looked at the traffic.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939844%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Ritmo2k Friday, September 2, 2016 8:34 PM
    • Edited by Ritmo2k Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:24 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Ritmo,

Create a Window Update domain Policy and deploy to client. Local policy will be overwrite with domain policy.

Thanks,

Harvansh Singh

• Proposed as answer by Harvansh Singh Saturday, September 3, 2016 5:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ritmo2k Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:22 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 5:34 PM
  • The original question asked how to use a policy to accomplish the question (this is the group policy forum).

The answer for which policy settings is DisableWindowsUpdateAccess which forces the check against the SCCM server. The client in question does not have outbound access, without the setting an error is returned indicating a failure to check occurred, with the setting I can see the response indicates a successful check and the ip traffic suggests it was using the SCCM server.

For some reason, the etl logs on the client were empty so I just looked at the traffic.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939844%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Ritmo2k Friday, September 2, 2016 8:34 PM
    • Edited by Ritmo2k Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:24 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting here and kindly sharing as it would be helpful to anyone who has the similar requirement.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 5, 2016 2:40 AM