Slow Login after Restart and Lock RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 (64 bit) os and the model is Dell OptiPlex 390. The system is working fine in many ways. However, whenever I lock the screen or restart the computer, it takes about 8-10 minutes to enter the system. The screen is struck at welcome only. I have tried the clean boot environment, but I am still facing the same issue. The machine is in the domain and I have also reinstalled the network drivers. I have tried all the steps from the web, but still it is not working. I hope I get the solution from this forum, unlike in my previous questions, where no one has answered. I am ready to provide any further information. I have been redirected to this forum.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For this problem, the most effective method to find the reason of slow boot up is using Windows performance monitor to capture system boot trace.

You can refer to the link below to follow its steps to captuer system boot trace. After that, upload the log file to your sharing space and share with us.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jeff_stokes/archive/2012/09/17/how-to-collect-a-good-boot-trace-on-windows-7.aspx

In addition, you can also try to boot into safe mode with networking for test, if system bootup normally, it's probably hardware or their driver problem. This method could help us narrow down the problem quickly.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:36 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Rajiv,

I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you have any logon scripts applied?
    2. Are there any policies to map drives or printers?
    3. Is it all PCs with this issue or just yours?

If you have any group policies applying that are trying to map drives or printers that no longer exist, this may cause slow logon as well.

It is interesting that this also occurs when you unlock the computer. My guess is that this part could be something software based that is slowing it down. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Check Event Viewer for winlogon entries.
    2. Use Process Monitor to capture the process that occur when you unlock the computer. It can be downloaded here
    3. Turn on verbose messages for logon. This will provide you with extra information about what is occurring during logon. A KB on how to turn on verbose can be found here

I hope this is at least a good place to start. Sorry I cannot be of more help, hopefully if we narrow a few things down that will help. Please let us know how you get on.

Best of luck,

Regards,

James Henderson

MTA: Windows Server Admin Essentials

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

For this problem, the most effective method to find the reason of slow boot up is using Windows performance monitor to capture system boot trace.

You can refer to the link below to follow its steps to captuer system boot trace. After that, upload the log file to your sharing space and share with us.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jeff_stokes/archive/2012/09/17/how-to-collect-a-good-boot-trace-on-windows-7.aspx

In addition, you can also try to boot into safe mode with networking for test, if system bootup normally, it's probably hardware or their driver problem. This method could help us narrow down the problem quickly.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:36 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 9:23 AM