none
Manual mirror failover RRS feed

• Question

• I have a job which inserted data onto my priciple DB.

If I force a manual failover at the priciple.  The job continues to insert data, which a can see at the mirror?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:05 AM

Answers

•  

Thanks Praveen.  My mistake (sorry to have wasted you time).  The said joib does fail (as expected after a manual failover).  Your mention of manual failover causing logins issues is of concern to me though, I will use this to upgrade SQL service packs etc.  Interesting that msdn doesn't mention any such security issues.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb497962.aspx?wt.slv=RightRail

The one thing it does say though, is to disable your witness.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:07 PM

All replies

• Manual failover comes with lots of issues, i faced in my envirnment where i do have mirroring with witness, if it automate failsover no issues, but when we forcefully failed it over Login's and user's becomes issue.

Due to mismatch SID.

As in your case mirrored database which was principal where your job executes, it have to failed with error. but as the point comes the database is not offline, not disconnected its still synchronise but not accesible.this might be the reason why job running againt inaccesable database.

This thing is clear you cannot insert update your mirrored database infact not even read .IF you would like to read the mirrored database create a snapshot and you can use it for read.

What the duration and the status of your job in above mentioned scenerio.

Rgds

Praveen Barath

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  •  

Thanks Praveen.  My mistake (sorry to have wasted you time).  The said joib does fail (as expected after a manual failover).  Your mention of manual failover causing logins issues is of concern to me though, I will use this to upgrade SQL service packs etc.  Interesting that msdn doesn't mention any such security issues.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb497962.aspx?wt.slv=RightRail

The one thing it does say though, is to disable your witness.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Thanks you

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:36 PM
    Answerer