Do I NEED to integrate App-V with SCCM to deliver sequenced MSIs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

First question....I have a scenario whereby we need to deliver App-V packages to not only a VDI pool but thick W7 desktops. We already have SCCM. Do we actually need to integrate App-V with SCCM in order to deliver sequenced MSIs to the VDI and W7? Surely SCCM would treat this as just another package? We don't need the reporting and metering features of SCCM for AppV packages.

Second question...We want to use SCCM to patch the VDI host and the thick W7 desktops and also deliver AppV packages to those thick W7 desktops. However, we want to also use the read only cache feature for the VDI desktops to save on SAN space (so hence cannot use SCCM and will have to use native AppV backend). I am concerned that:

a) VDI host needs a SCCM client (req'd for patching)

b) W7 thick desktop needs a SCCM client and AppV client (req'd for patching and AppV local cache)

c) W7 VDI desktop needs a SCCM client and AppV client (req'd for patching and AppV read only cache)

Scenario B and C require different AppV settings. Obviously if we integrate SCCM & AppV scenario C would never work as the AppV client setting would be overwritten. So what would be recommendation?

Thanks and I hope this makes sense :) 

• Edited by gr4z Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hello,

No, you can not use the App-V integration for SCCM if you intend to deploy App-V using the standalone method.

Why does scenario B and C require different settings?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

No, you can not use the App-V integration for SCCM if you intend to deploy App-V using the standalone method.

Why does scenario B and C require different settings?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:59 PM
  • If I have to integrate SCCM & App-V then this is a system wide setting. If I use the same SCCM system enterprise wide, then surely I cannot have some machines getting App-V via SCCM and some accessing a read only cache???
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Hello,

Read only cache only alters the fact that the cache is in read-only mode. SCCM can still manage the client if necessary, however if adding a new application which is not in the cache would seem pretty useless. Same applies for the management server. Or standalone mode.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Sorry I don't understand. Surely if I turn on App-V integration in SCCM this is a system wide setting. The App-V clients managed by SCCM have their configuration changed automatically.

How would a VDI client that has the SCCM client installed then access the App-V read only cache - its setting have just been changed by the above to use SCCM?? 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Hello,

Yes
    SCCM does not alter the read-only cache setting

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I did not know this. I assumed when you turn on integration the SCCM client will reset the App-V client settings including the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Softgrid\4.5\Client\AppFS setting?

So even if we turn on integration the client will still be able to use a read only cache?

Thanks for your advice.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Hello,

I am very surprised that you have not simply tried it in a lab-environment. But yes
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:00 PM