none
Library tape sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm going to setup library tape sharing in my DPM Environment, and consequently I got some questions:

-Today the physical tape library is connected with SAS cable to HBA cards on the backup server. Does it have to be fibre channel in order to work?

-I will use a present DPM 2012 SP1 server as the library server, but the library client has to be DPM 2012 R2. We cannot upgrade the library server to 2012 R2 as it's needed to protect Windows 2003 servers. Can I still use library tape sharing in spite of different DPM versions?

I have read Technet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758124.aspx, telling me that "A library client is a computer on which DPM is installed, the library-sharing command has been run, and the medium changer is not enabled".
    From my point of view this makes no sense, as the physical library is connected to the library server - so how would the medium changer be visible on the library client??

/Amir

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The library needs to be accessible from both DPM servers you want to enable library sharing on.  This means that the tape library needs to be either Iscsi or Fibre attached I order to be seen by both DPM servers.

We do not support sharing tape library between different versions of DPM.

FYI - We will be adding support in the upcoming DPM 2012 R2 UR2 patch for protecting Windows 2003 servers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The library needs to be accessible from both DPM servers you want to enable library sharing on.  This means that the tape library needs to be either Iscsi or Fibre attached I order to be seen by both DPM servers.

We do not support sharing tape library between different versions of DPM.

FYI - We will be adding support in the upcoming DPM 2012 R2 UR2 patch for protecting Windows 2003 servers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Thank you so much Mike! I suspected that different DPM versions would never be supported for library sharing but then I know for sure.

Great news regarding Windows 2003 servers and QFE2! When is this planned to be released? Next month?

/Amir
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:26 AM