none
Resource Levelling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I face Resource Overallocation issue in MS Project Server 2013.

I tried levelling a resource using MS Project, when I click Resource Levelling, resource is levelled but for some days there is no allocation. (i.e. For instance a resource is overallocated for 2months, when I click levelling, all days he has been allocated 8hrs but few days no allocations(Gap) are there, I mean excluding holidays I see some gap)

What is the cause of this problem?

K.Gokulraj

Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:59 AM

Answers

• It is not clear to me since you are saying that you go to the resource usage and manually update work on a task. Thus you are not using the resource leveling but manually moving the task. Leveling is an automatic process for resolving overallocations which DOES NOT require any manual operations from the user.

While leveling, depending on the leveling options (split tasks, priority, individual assignments...), Project will move the overallocated assignments to the next available period.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by K.Gokulraj Wednesday, July 1, 2015 11:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you loaded the summary resource assignments while opening MS Project Pro (choose account dialog box)? It could be that the leveling is considering other projects assignments.

Also in the resource leveling options, you can unselect "leveling can create splits in remaining work".

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

I need to include the other projects as well only then I can resolve the overallocation.

I have selected only "Level only within available slack" but still I see the gap for 2 days in November and one week in October, later that I have few hours on the tasks.

K.Gokulraj

Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:16 AM
  • I'd advice to use the resource usage to precisely check one a daily basis how/where the given resource is allocated. Check also for exceptions and non-working time from the administrative lines in timesheets.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Is this recommended to use Resource Levelling feature in Microsoft Project Server 2013?

K.Gokulraj

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:41 AM
  • Quite difficult to answer... It will depend on your organization, your projects and your project managers.

Some project managers with low project scheduling skills often feel like they are loosing control while doing leveling. They cannot easily see the impacts of the leveling operation. Most of the PM prefer dealing manually with the allocation's conflicts, using the resource usage for example. A workaround is to level resource by resource to avoid a massive project plan update by leveling the entire project.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:47 AM
  • If levelling done using Resource Usage view, how the days calculated?

For instance, a resource is over allocated(two tasks- 1 day duration)on a specific day(16hrs), if I go to resource usage view and change the hours to 8 on that day, Work reflects 8hrs on that day but the resource assignment is there for the other task with work(0hrs). Though the over allocation resolved but the task which contains 0hrs work does not move to other day, so how come it is said to be levelled.  

The ultimate solution is when I enter 0hrs on a specific day for a task, that 8hrs should move on to the next day, isn't it?

Note: Task type set as Fixed Duration(Unchecked Effort Driven)

Please help.

K.Gokulraj

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:39 AM
  • It is not clear to me since you are saying that you go to the resource usage and manually update work on a task. Thus you are not using the resource leveling but manually moving the task. Leveling is an automatic process for resolving overallocations which DOES NOT require any manual operations from the user.

While leveling, depending on the leveling options (split tasks, priority, individual assignments...), Project will move the overallocated assignments to the next available period.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by K.Gokulraj Wednesday, July 1, 2015 11:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:43 AM
  • Thanks for your reply

K.Gokulraj

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:44 AM
  • You're welcome.

If the reply was helpful or answered your question, please mark it accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:47 AM