How to add FOPE seats to Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My customer's organization has a relationship with Microsoft Online Services (including directory synchronization, but not single sign-on).  This relationship was originally established because of Intune.

We have successfully added Office 365 (currently a trial, but they are going to convert the Office 365 trial to an E1 plan shortly) to the Online Services account.

Separately, the customer is running Exchange 2010 with Forefront Protection for Exchange (FPE).  We also have a number of Exchange Enterprise CALs with Services seats, which entitle users to use Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE).  However at this point we are NOT using FOPE, just FPE.

Now the customer wants to set up an Exchange Hybrid Deployment, where some mailboxes are in Office 365 and some are in the on-premise Exchange, and they want to start using FOPE for the on-premise mailboxes (you are discontinuing FPE so as the customer's use of Online Services expands, this seems like a good time to introduce FOPE).  I am aware that there are many steps required to set up a hybrid deployment; fortunately I am not asking that sort of question at this point.

From a licensing point of view, I understand that FOPE is included in Office 365, however a user with an Office 365 account is only entitled to have email scanned for the number of users that they have purchased Office 365 seats for.  Since we want to use FOPE to scan on-premise mailboxes as well, we need additional FOPE seats.

The customer is entitled to additional FOPE seats because they have Exchange Enterprise CALs with Services.  So my question is, how do I correctly add the FOPE seats from the Enterprise CALs to the existing Office 365 account?  I am afraid that if I do it wrong I will end up with a separate FOPE account in Online Services then I will have to do some horrible merge, so I would like to do it right the first time :-)

The basic procedure is to go to the Volume Licensing Service Center, find the agreement for the Exchange Enterprise CALs, and click on the agreement number to enter a screen that says "Active Online Service".  I done this but now I don't know how to answer the questions.  Can you please tell me what to do?

The Activate Online Service screen asks the following:

----------------
    In order to successfully complete the activation process, you
    will need to provide the information listed below for either continuation of an
    existing service or new service activation.
      • For continuation
        of an existing service:
        o  Mail Server Domain (this may not
    apply)
        o  Prior Agreement
    Number
        o  Prior Subscription
    Number
  • For new
    service
  •     o  Domain Name
        o  Public Inbound IP
    Address(es)
        o  Public Outbound IP
    Address(es)
        o  Mail Server
    If you already have Forefront Online Protection for Exchange,
    would you like to use the same information to proceed with the activation
    process?
    (radio buttons for Yes/No)
    ----------------

I don't think I should choose the first option "continuation of an existing service" because I don't have a prior agreement number.  I'm afraid to select "new service" without your guidance because I don't want to create a duplicate account.  I'm attracted to the third option "If you already have FOPE, would you like to use the same information to proceed with the activation process?"  I figure I already have FOPE (as part of my handful of Office 365 seats) so if I can choose the third option I can add my volume license FOPE seats to Office 365.

However when I choose this option and then proceed, the next screen asks me for the already-subscribed domain, but it doesn't seem to recognize any of my Office 365 domains. So I'm stuck.

How do I add the FOPE seats I am entitled to under my Volume License Exchange Enterprise CAL with Services seats to my existing Microsoft Online Services/Office 365 account?

Thanks!

PS I first asked this question in the forum "Exchange Online (including Office 365)".  They said it was out of their scope and I should ask it here...

Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:45 AM

Answers

• From further reading, I suspect (but I'm not totally sure) that there is no way to register FOPE seats with Office 365.  I just have to administratively make sure I have enough seats so I'm not violating my license.

If I'm wrong, then I risk Office 365's FOPE discarding my users' email for mailboxes above the licensed count which would not be good.  But from everything I've been able to read this shouldn't be an issue. Anybody know differently?

The procedure I referenced about for "activating" FOPE seats seems to be for stand-alone FOPE sites who are not using Office 365, which is why I didn't know what option to choose and none of the options seemed to apply.

• Marked as answer by mikejng Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you should contact FOPE support or your local Microsoft branch to get help. Office 365 uses FOPE for antispam and antimalware so there should be a problem when adding your domain to FOPE because it's already in use by Office365.

Also check the following article about mail routing in a hybrid scenario:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff633682.aspx#routing

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:44 AM
  • From further reading, I suspect (but I'm not totally sure) that there is no way to register FOPE seats with Office 365.  I just have to administratively make sure I have enough seats so I'm not violating my license.

If I'm wrong, then I risk Office 365's FOPE discarding my users' email for mailboxes above the licensed count which would not be good.  But from everything I've been able to read this shouldn't be an issue. Anybody know differently?

The procedure I referenced about for "activating" FOPE seats seems to be for stand-alone FOPE sites who are not using Office 365, which is why I didn't know what option to choose and none of the options seemed to apply.

• Marked as answer by mikejng Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:54 PM