Specify SQL Server Port During Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing ConfigMgr 2012 R2 in an environment that requires remote SQL.  In addition, the remote SQL uses a custom port and does not run the SQL Browser service.

Is there a way to specify the SQL Server port during setup? I know I can specify the port for the SQL Service Broker, but I need to specify the port for the SQL Server instance itself.

Any insight/experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:28 PM

Answers

• Other than the customer has a policy to not have it running I am not sure why SQL browser is not running.

As it turns out, I don't think the issue related to the port at all.  The SQL instance was issued a restart command during setup (after certificates were installed) and the instance never restarted.

Not sure if that is common when installing the DB on a cluster or not. . .

Thanks,

Jeff 

• Marked as answer by Jeff Poling Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:30 PM

All replies

• You will need to change the port in SQL Server Network Configuration 

See this technet documentation : https://technet.microsoft.com/library/ms177440.aspx

Benoit Lecours | Blog: System Center Dudes

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Benoit, the SQL server is already configured to listen on a specific port.  The question is how does ConfigMgr setup determine that port if SQL browser is not running?

Actually, we are finding that there may be another problem that is the root cause - the SQL instance was stopped during setup and never started again.  I am investigating that now.

Jeff

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:48 PM
  • I thought I read somewhere where you can specify the port in the following format

serverame:instancename,port

But can't say I've ever tired.

Why isn't the SQL Browser service running? That's pretty standard.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Other than the customer has a policy to not have it running I am not sure why SQL browser is not running.

As it turns out, I don't think the issue related to the port at all.  The SQL instance was issued a restart command during setup (after certificates were installed) and the instance never restarted.

Not sure if that is common when installing the DB on a cluster or not. . .

Thanks,

Jeff 

• Marked as answer by Jeff Poling Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:30 PM