none
Hyper-V 2012 replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 2 test servers which are in the same domain. I want to use kerberos authentication but I am getting same error all the time.

The error is: Hyper-v failed to authenticate using kerberos authentication. The specified target is unknown or unreachable (0x80090303). Hyper-v failed to authenticate the replica server using kerberos. I can ping both name and ip. Dont know why is it unreachable.

This is strange because they are in the same domain. When I test this first time i didnt have problems with it.

Hope that someone can help with this.

My DC is Small Business server and maybe is because of that or.

Best regards/kaktak

• Edited by kaktak Monday, January 7, 2013 1:59 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Kaktak,

That what you should do is to go to AD right click on Hyper-V server and properties. Then go to Attribut-Editor and go to Service Principal Name click on edit and add these:

Server 1:
    Hyper-V Replica Service/HYPER-V--->name of your hyper-v server
    Hyper-V Replica Service/Hyper-V.yourdomain
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/HYPER-V
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/Hyper-V.yourdomain

Microsoft Virtual Console Service/HYPER-V

Microsoft Virtual Console Service/Hyper-V.yourdomain

Server 2:
    Hyper-V Replica Service/HYPER-V-2
    Hyper-V Replica Service/Hyper-V-2.yourdomain
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/HYPER-V-2
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/Hyper-V-2.yourdomain
    Microsoft Virtual Console Service/HYPER-V-2
    Microsoft Virtual Console Service/Hyper-V-2.yourdomain

After this replication should work

• Proposed as answer by Nedim Mehic Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by kaktak Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:39 PM
  • this is what i supposed

please review this :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/36064e8d-7268-4104-906b-0d3e6a18d35f

regards

------------------------------------------------------- I understand a little computers.

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:19 PM

All replies

• This is usually an error you get in live migration wich has another requirements, what method are you using for authentication in the setup ?

do you also have erros id 14050 in vmms log ?

Regards

------------------------------------------------------- I understand a little computers.

• Edited by Ales75 Monday, January 7, 2013 3:02 PM add
    Monday, January 7, 2013 2:59 PM
  • I have 2 test machines (server 2012 - hyper-v) and one DC (small business server 2011). I join both servers to domain and when i try to replicate vm i get this error. I want to make replication with kerberos auth.
    Monday, January 7, 2013 3:02 PM
  • is the ssb 2011 virtualized inside one host ? or outside ?

of course you will use kerberos, certificate it is mostly used for workgroup hyper v host, not domain joined.

please in the hyper v host vmms log what error do you see ?

as i aksed you before, can you provide a error id number ?

regards

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:51 PM
  • SBS 2011 is a physical machine. i event viewer i get these errors:

Failed to register the service principal name 'Hyper-V Replica Service'.

Failed to register the service principal name 'Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service'.

Failed to register the service principal name 'Microsoft Virtual Console Service'.

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:54 PM
  • this is what i supposed

please review this :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/36064e8d-7268-4104-906b-0d3e6a18d35f

regards

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:19 PM
  • After

probably replication will work but you will still have those errors in logs, the portarange fix mentioned doesnt' work for all even if, verious people mention it as the fix.

Regards

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Thank u all for help. After doing that in AD I was able to make replication in both directions.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Alex 75 and Ultra_Cool, thanks for your posts and thanks for your contributions to the forum.

Follow forum ‘mark answer’ policy, it’s recommended to mark detailed solution as answer rather than just a link.

Thanks for your understanding and many thanks for your contributions to Windows Server Forum!

Have a nice day!

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by moored99 Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by moored99 Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:42 AM
  • This also worked for me, I spent a 2 days trying to figure this out before I discovered this post, what was strange was on my test lab back at the office I was using Server 2008R2 as the DC and it worked first time with out having to edit the Principal Name.

I have 2 x Hyper-V 2012 bare metal servers

1 x SBS server 2011 as a virtual machine (ie inside Hyper-V)

2 x Terminal server as a virtual machine

Server 1:
    Hyper-V Replica Service/HYPER-V--->name of your hyper-v server
    Hyper-V Replica Service/Hyper-V.yourdomain
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/HYPER-V
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/Hyper-V.yourdomain

Microsoft Virtual Console Service/HYPER-V

Microsoft Virtual Console Service/Hyper-V.yourdomain

Server 2:
    Hyper-V Replica Service/HYPER-V-2
    Hyper-V Replica Service/Hyper-V-2.yourdomain
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/HYPER-V-2
    Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/Hyper-V-2.yourdomain
    Microsoft Virtual Console Service/HYPER-V-2
    Microsoft Virtual Console Service/Hyper-V-2.yourdomain

After this replication worked

Thankyou Ultra_Cool.

• Edited by moored99 Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KayZerSoze Monday, May 27, 2013 11:09 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:46 PM
  • I´m teaching the MS Official Course 20412B and i saw the same thing.

There was 2 machines, LON-HOST1 and LON-HOST2 and the second one have missed almost all entries you mentioned in the procedure.

AFter typing (there is a way to copy and paste and avoid to type?!?) the missing entries in the LON-HOST2, the problem was solved!

• Proposed as answer by KayZerSoze Monday, May 27, 2013 11:09 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Thank you, this worked for me as well.

I made the changes to my Ad entries, but the first try at moving the vm failed in the same way. After about five minutes I tried again and it completed successfully.  So it takes a little time for the AD changes to propagate.

Friday, June 14, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Thanks for this Ultra_Cool. You have made my day :) 
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Hi Ultra_Cool,

Where exactly is "Hyper-V server and properties" in Active Directory?

Thanks!

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hi Ultra_Cool,

I have a similar setup as the original poster, Kaktak.

I have an SBS 2011 domain with 2 2012 Hyper-V servers.  I have one virtual server running on one of the Hyper-V servers and I want to test replicating and Live Migration to the 2nd Hyper-V server.

I was missing the Service Principle Names on my SBS 2011 DC, so I followed the above steps to add the SPN's to the DC.

After this, I enabled Kerberos Delegation between HV Server 1 and HV Server 2 on CIFS and Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service.

Once this was complete, I went back to HV Server 1 to setup Replication of the server running on this server to HV Server 2 and still received the following error.

Enabling replication failed.

Hyper-V failed to authenticate the Replica server <SERVER.DOMAIN> using Kerberos authentication.  Error: The specified target is unknown or unreachable (0x80090303).

I am not certain what to troubleshoot next since all the postings I have found so far on this error point back to this type of solution.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:05 PM