none
How to add A record in forwarder DNS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

The topic title may be confused.
    Here my case:

Company domain : abc.com (internal and external are same)

Head office :
    1 DNS server SOA for zone abc.com : dns1.abc.com (for internal)
    service1.abc.com in A 192.168.1.100 , it is also public to internet with ip 1.2.3.4
    service2.abc.com in A 192.168.1.200 (service for internal only)

Brand office : VPN site to site <==> Head office
    1 DNS server dns2.abc.com forwarding to dns1.abc.com at Head office (dns2 has been configured just forwarder , no zones)

I want dns2.abc.com can know that service1.abc.com has ip 1.2.3.4 and answer that when brand office user query so they will access to service1 through Internet .

when band office user query for service2.abc.com , dns2.abc.com will get answer service2 in A 192.168.1.200 from dns1 so they will access service2 through VPN.

Please give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jack Chuong,

According to your description, you want clients use dns2.abc.com can resolve service1.abc.com to 1.2.3.4, resolve service2.abc.com to 192.168.1.200.

We may create a primary zone abc.com on dns2.abc.com, and add record service1.abc.com A 1.2.3.4.

Then when clients query for service1.abc.com, it will get IP address 1.2.3.4;

When clients query for service2.abc.com, dns2.abc.com can't resolve by itself, then will forward the query to dns1.abc.com, then get answer 192.168.1.200.

All records with public IP addresses can be added to zone abc.com on dns2.abc.com.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hi Anne, thank for you reply

How about SOA and NS records ? What should I do with them when I create zone abc.com on dns2.abc.com ?
    I don't want dns2.abc.com receive zone transfer data from dns1 .

• Edited by Jack Chuong Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:50 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi Jack Chuong,

>I don't want dns2.abc.com receive zone transfer data from dns1 .

Yes, no transfer.

We create a standalone primary zone on dns2.abc.com

Then add the A record:

Indeed, this zone has no direct relationship with zone "abc.com" on dns1.abc.com, since this is a new standalone zone. But we can use this zone to resolve the FQDN to the IP address we want.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Hi Anne, I tried but it didn't work.

After creating abc.com zone on dns2 , I run nslookup on dns2

C:\Users\administrator.ITL>nslookup
    Default Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.88.5

> service1.abc.com
    Server:  UnKnown

Name:    service1.abc.com
    Addresses:  1.2.3.4

> service2.abc.com

*** UnKnown can't find service2.abc.com: Non-existent domain

192.168.88.5 is dns2 ip address , Preferred DNS server is pointed to itself (192.168.88.5) , Alternate DNS server : blank. Of course, DNS server configuration Forwarder properties is pointed to dns1 .

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Hi Jack,

> service2.abc.com

*** UnKnown can't find service2.abc.com: Non-existent domain

You own my apology, it is, I got the same result with you.

Since the two zones have same name, when dns2.abc.com can't resolve services2.abc.com, it will not turn to the forwarder to query anymore.

Then, we need to add all related records in zone abc.com you want in dns2.abc.com.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, March 4, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Hi Anne, thank you anyway

I will add related recors in zone abc.com at on dns2 or find another way at network layer where I can intercede at switch , router configuration.

Friday, March 4, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Yeah, if you find a better resolution, welcome to feed back here.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, March 4, 2016 7:22 AM