none
Adding Forms Based Users to PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

According to this, the syntax for adding a forms user to PWA is MembershipProvider:UserName. When I tried this, I got the message "The resource could not be saved due to the following reasons: The NT account specified is invalid.  Check the spelling of the user name, verify that a valid domain name was included, and check that a duplicate domain was not used." I then tried using the claim string "i:0#.f|membershipprovider|username" and it worked.  The web app is configured to use both claims and windows auth, and everything appears to be working correctly. Is this dual auth config the reason that I had to use the alternate syntax? I just want to make sure that there is nothing fundamentally wrong.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik RHS
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:14 PM

Answers

• I ended up adding the ASPNet SQL Connection String and Membership/Roles Providers to the Project Server Web Service, and then I was able to add forms users to PWA. I have not seen anyone else documenting the need to do this, which doesn't make me feel all that great. In any case, it solved my problem...

Erik RHS
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:22 PM

All replies

• I ended up adding the ASPNet SQL Connection String and Membership/Roles Providers to the Project Server Web Service, and then I was able to add forms users to PWA. I have not seen anyone else documenting the need to do this, which doesn't make me feel all that great. In any case, it solved my problem...

Erik RHS
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Hi Erik,

The forms authentication story is not all that well documented, I feel your pain!  It does make sense that you need to add these role and membership providers to the Project Server web service, so as to allow the Project Server web service to access the authentication store.

Nice info, thanks :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I was not interested in forms based auth - I did find the April CU resolved this issue for me.

regards

Kyle

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:25 PM