Macro Problem with Word RRS feed

• Question

• The guy I was talking to did not tell me I was supposed to type all of the stuff in.  I thought that he would transfer me to you on the phone.  I've been working at this for 4 hours.

I had a series of updates.  Five problems resulted from this.  four have been solved.  The Macros problem remains.

When I put in a macro on a word document, it is supposed to remain in the macros window when I pull it up.  It doesn't.

On one occasion I succeeded.  It even survived a restart on the computer.  But that was only one success.  Generally, these macros do not survive restart, but even worse, they do not survive to be used in another document, and sometimes not even in the same document.  It looks like a problem enabling the macros to be saved for other documents and other restarts.

• Moved by Shaw_Lu Monday, August 19, 2019 5:43 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2019 9:47 PM

All replies

• By the way, no one explained to me how this works.  Do I just stay on this page, or look for an email answer?
    Friday, August 16, 2019 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for visiting our forum. Our forum focus on Microsoft Teams, which is the hub for team collaboration in Office 365.

Based on your description, this problem seems related to Word, I will move this thread to Word forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=word 

Hope you may get more helpful replies there.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 19, 2019 5:39 AM
  • Hi Preston Brown,

I don't quite understand your question. Can't you use or save Macros in Word? Have you tested to create or run a macro in Word? How about macro in Excel?

If all macros can't run in Word, please try repair office application

If the problem is with the macro code, you can ask for help in Word Development forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=worddev

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:36 AM
  • You have to save the macro to the Normal template, if you want it to be available to all documents.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:41 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 2:03 PM
  • Macros can only be saved in macro-enabled templates (.DOTM) or documents (.DOCM). With other file endings, the macros will be discarded when the file is closed.
    • Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:41 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 3:42 PM