W7 Home Premium doesn't remember Credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Whan mapping a network drive, 64 bit W7 Home Premium asks for username and password.

There is a checkbox to reconnect and remember credentials which should yield the same result

as with XP Pro.  W7 tries to reconnect on reboot but in all those gigabytes of disk footprint

can't manage to remember the credentials.

This botch causes data to be silently placed elsewhere.

How can I get W7 to work as specified?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:04 AM

All replies

• I suggest you make sure that Network Discovery is enabled in Windows 7.

If the issue persists, I suggest you change the NTLM authentication level. Please refer the following website.

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level

The policy is:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security: LAN Manager authentication level

Please change “Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:34 AM
  • Please indicate an exact procedure that works with W7 64 bit to set the required parameter(s)

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Apparently I was not clear in my original question.

W7 Home Premium can map the network drives.

What is at issue is its failure to obey the check box to remember the credentials.

In addition, another mapped drive that doesn't require a password still requires

manual intervention to remap on subsequent boots.

I reported this problem a long time ago when the public trial W7 came out.

When Iis MS going to fix it already?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Such behavior can be caused by several reasons. Have you tried my suggestion? You can also try to disable firewall and antivirus temporarily then check the result.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:19 AM
  • This is actually by design. Ever since Windows XP Home, the inability to save network share credientials does not exist on home versions of Windows. Like the inability to join domains and other enterprise functions, saving network share user names and password is a feature of Pro or Windows 7 Business (or greater) so enterprises IT dept don't skimp on licencing.

However, You could use a script on logon like the following as a work around:

@echo off
    net use x: /delete
    net use x: \\server\share /USER:COMPUTER\User password
    exit

Source: http://bit.ly/aA8za4

I know its not a proper solution, but hope this helps.

Monday, June 7, 2010 10:27 AM
  • The Windows firewall indicates it is allowing file sharing.

I am not running a third party antivirus program.

Anyway, the problem is not an inability to activate network SMB shares

by mapping network drives.   If that was not clear in my first message

the second message should have made that perfectly clear.

Currently danielb24's comment that Home Premium is intentionally crippled is

the only one that makes sense.

What part of "premium" do  we not understand?

I have lost hours of work because of this problem.

If Windows 7 is intentionally crippled, that is a subject to be discussed on Slashdot.

Otherwise, for the second time, I request a procedure that actually works with

W7 Home "premium"  to keep the mapped drives mapped that works as well as XP.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Has this bulletin board gone dead??  No answer??
    Monday, June 21, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Such behavior can be caused by several reasons. Have you tried my suggestion? You can also try to disable firewall and antivirus temporarily then check the result.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Your suggestion appears to be for Windows Enterprise or Server. the question was for Windows 7 Home Premium users. And it hasn't been answered: does Windows 7 Home Premium support home networking and remembering credentials (i.e., automatic mapping of network drives) so one doesn't have to log on to say, a desktop from a laptop next to it manually each time one boots the systems?
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:26 AM
  • This is actually by design. Ever since Windows XP Home, the inability to save network share credientials does not exist on home versions of Windows. Like the inability to join domains and other enterprise functions, saving network share user names and password is a feature of Pro or Windows 7 Business (or greater) so enterprises IT dept don't skimp on licencing.

However, You could use a script on logon like the following as a work around:

@echo off
    net use x: /delete
    net use x: \\server\share /USER:COMPUTER\User password
    exit

Source: http://bit.ly/aA8za4

I know its not a proper solution, but hope this helps.

How does one save and run this (I'm a Windows know-very-little... sorry) - a vbscript or batch

file or??

ETA: I tried this - saved the above code in a batch file (called it login.bat) and saved it in my Startup folder which in itself was a pain to find, and it works a treat. Thank you!

My version goes something like:

@echo off
    net use z: /delete
    net use z: \\server\share /MyName:TARGETCOMPUTER\ThatUser password
    exit
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:28 AM