Adding a link from a document library directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to accomplish something really simple (I thought): From within a document library (somwhere down in the hierarchy), I would like to create a link to an arbitrary URL, e.g. http://www.microsoft.com (or whatever).

I have tried creating .url or .lnk files and store them on the SharePoint server, but it does not let me (gives some strange error message ["Wrong parameter"] and simply does nothing).

I guess this has been intentionally disallowed; is there any workaround, preferrably a simple one.

Best regards,
    Martin
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 29, 2011 5:07 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:20 PM

Answers

• You can add the "Link to a document" content type to your document library.

Just go to your document library settings, under advanced settings, you can allow management of content types.

Once this is done you will be able to add the "link to a document" content type.

Serge Tremblay MVP SharePoint
    • Proposed as answer by Carry Megens Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 29, 2011 5:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:56 AM

All replies

• If there is not a specific reason to have it stored in the document library you can use a Summary Links web part to show all your links

The link is sort of indexed.  By that I mean you can find the entry when doing a search but the result points to the page where the link is located rather than where the link points.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:39 PM
  • I can imagine a lot of scenarios where it would be good to have links directly in the document library, e.g. when gathering information on a specific subject. Ok, it's always possible to create a "link document" in Word for example and save it into SharePoint, but in my opinion, it's not very elegant.

Is there any really good reason why links aren't supported directly?

Our current workaround is that we have inserted a custom 'Link' field for each document, but that's not very elegant: You end up with a bunch of empty files which only exist in order to get the link into the document library...
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:20 PM
  • You could do this with a custom content type which has a field with a hyperlink column.  You will need to turn on advanced content types to add the additional content type to your library and then you will see multiple choices under the new option.  When you want to just add a link, create a new item using your custom content type instead of the new doc type.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:32 PM
  • HI,

Try opening the document library view in SPD and the under the split mode point to the region where  you want to place the link.

Add the code to create the link.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:35 AM
  • You can add the "Link to a document" content type to your document library.

Just go to your document library settings, under advanced settings, you can allow management of content types.

Once this is done you will be able to add the "link to a document" content type.

Serge Tremblay MVP SharePoint
    • Proposed as answer by Carry Megens Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 29, 2011 5:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:56 AM