Disapearing Desktop Icon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have recently upgraded to window 7 Pro (64 Bit) and ran into the problem of disappearing icons on the desktop (shortcut to NAS drives/files).

After some research I found the suggested fix from Microsoft (kb 2642357) have modified the registry as required but my icons are still disappearing (and I don't want to disable the scheduled maintenance).

Is there any specific setting/fix  for a Window 7 Pro on 64 bit machine ?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Alex

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From KB 2642357, we knew system maintenance will be automatically run via task schedule if your computer is disconnected from the network where the NAS driver reside or the NAS driver is disconnected from your computer.

So I recommend you to disable the task in the task schedule. Please refer to the steps below:

1. Locate to task scheduler
    2. Enlarge the tree within the left hand window until you obtain to Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Diagnosis.
    3. In the right hand window, right click the task name Scheduled as well as click Disable

Thanks!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Thanks Andy,

The reason I don't want to disable the Diagnosis task is because there are other useful tasks that will get disable as well.

Microsoft has provide a KB 2642357 with a registry fix by adding the 2 Dword value IsBrokenShortcutsTSEnabled and IsUnusedDesktopIconsTSEnabled. I followed the instruction to the letter and unfortunately it did NOT fix the problem.

And while researching the issue it seems that while the fix provided by KB 2642357 worked in the past, the issue has resurfaced recently among many Window 7 users.

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks Again

Alex

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:05 PM
  • But did you apply the hotfix 385439 to have the system look at those keys?  It is a box at the top of the KB2642357 that is only mentioned in a tiny footnote of the fixit section.  The hotfix must be applied for fixit or manual to have any effect.  It sends an email, but the links have been published by various commenters.  Here is one below.

Note difference in 64bit and non.  It is a zip, so save it where you can find it, and do the same when it unzips after you click on it, then click and run the unzipped file. KB2642357 gives the fixit method, and more detailed instructions to add the 2 keys manually (I would make sure the fixit installed both keys, if using that method). They must be DWORD 0

Anonymous said...

Hotfix links:

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix385439/7600/free/441240_intl_i386_zip.exe

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix385439/7600/free/441224_intl_x64_zip.exe

THEN
    run somethingsomething.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ScheduledDiagnostics]
    "IsBrokenShortcutsTSEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "IsUnusedDesktopIconsTSEnabled"=dword:00000000

• Edited by liv101 Monday, March 3, 2014 12:48 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 12:42 AM