Is there an easy way to find out if an APPV5 package is restricted to deploy to particular Operating System and if so remove the restriction? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I work at a University and we use APPV5 to deploy many applications (currently our content share has 320 applications!). 

When our application sequencers sequence the apps, some of them edit the package after it has been sequenced and in the "deployment" tab, they make the .APPV only available to particular OS's (say Win 7 and Win 8.1).  Some people that sequence our applications arent setting any deployment requirements, and hence the APPV is visible to any OS with the client installed.

Lately we have started to test Windows 10, and we are noticing that some apps are not showing up.  Of course, these are the apps that have not been made available to Windows 10 because they have been restricted in the "deployment" tab to other older OS's.

Question is, is there an easy way to tell if an APPV5 appv package has OS restrictions?  In the old days of APPV 4.6 this info was in the OSD files and it was dead simple to change.  I have looked in the DeploymentConfig.xml and UserConfig.xml files and see no reference to the target OS.  I have also renamed an .APPV file to .ZIP so I could have a squiz inside to see if there is any file there that has this information, but I have been unable to find it.  It must be stored somewhere.  Currently I have been opening each .APPV file in the sequencer, and editing the package so that I can check the "deployment" tab so that I can verify whether the app will be visible to Windows 10.

Basically, I just want every .APPV file we have to have no restrictions, and just be available to any target OS.   I need a quicker, faster way to do this or it will take me months and I will go crazy!

Anyone been through this pain already and have any ideas?

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can open the AppxManifest.xml file inside your .appv File. The Operating Systems that were once selected can be found in the "appv:TargetOSes" tag, as below:

But Keep in mind that the only supported way to modify this list is via editing the Package in the App-V Sequencer.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Simon is correct. But I strongly recommend you to use App-V Sequencer to edit the OS target. Also only App-V 5.1 supports windows 10.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:34 AM
  • If you use the App-V management server for deployment, these OS tags are also found in the database. You could even use the Publishingmetadata.xml file under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV\Server\Publishing on your server. Of course those packages need to be added in the console.

Roy Essers

Thursday, February 18, 2016 11:27 AM
  • You might not run into such kind of issues if you have standards document in-place. A suggestion that may help you in future..

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Your question was one of the things that inspired our team to build a free tool for such cases.

Read more in this MSDN thread.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:14 AM