none
Script to upgrade DPM agents on untrusted domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there anyway to write a script that allow me to ugprade agents on untrusted domain?

I have around 7 DPM servers with around 70 protected servers on each. So it will take longggggggg time to install them manually.

Thats why im wondering if there anyway to write a script that can:-

1. Browse to a network drive on untrusted domain (run - \\DPM001\C\program files\...etc\protection agent)

2. Copy the files from the DPM server to the protected server.

3. Uninstall the old dpm - install the new dpm agent.

4. run setdpmserver.exe -untrusted domain (with provide it with password).

5. re-attach the agent in DPM.

if its not possible to write a script to establish such operation. What part if this operation that can be scriptted?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:17 AM

Answers

• Laith,

With every update which you install on DPM, you will see a folder with the updated version created under the "Protection Agents"\RA folder. Can you ensure that you are using the right version.

All you need to do is to run the installer and it will automatically upgrade the agent.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no need to un-install and re-install the agent, you just need to run DpmAgentInstaller_KB2465832.exe /q on the protected machines.

You can also install a protection agent independently using Microsoft System Center Configuration Management 2007 (SCCM).

The SCCM package for the agent should invoke the following command-line:

DpmAgentInstaller_KB2465832.exe /q

To install a protection agent using SCCM:

1. Create a package that runs DpmAgentInstaller_KB2465832.exe /q   For 64-bit computers, use DPMAgentInstaller_KB2465832_x64.exe /q

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I tried to install the agent directly of course before uninstalling it and during the installation it tells me that there is an agent already installed on your system. And when i check in the DPM console it tells me "update available". So when i uninstalled the agent and install one more time then the agent became updated in the DPM console. So the new update cannot take place the old agent.

I can use the GP to push the agents as well but as you know that if you want to install agent in untrusted domain, first you cannot push it from the DPM console and second you have to run setdpmserver with the key -isnondomainserver. I checked the keys for this command and i couldnt find anyway to enter the password through a command and thats what stopped me from writing the script.

So can you please check if the updated agent can be installed (upgrade) the old agent. because in my case (over than 50 servers it didnt work).

How can you deploy the update of the agent for untrusted domains.

// Laith.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

So to be clear, you are already protecting non-domain / workgroup computers with DPM 2010 on RTM agent code.  You install the DPM 2010 update and now it says update available for the PS.  You go to the PS and you try to install the new agent via the process I explained above, and you get an error ?

I successfully did the same and had no problems.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:57 PM
  •  

Hi Mike,

Sorry for being late to answer i was on leave

The DPM server was updated. and now on the DPM Management console beside each PS there is (update available)

What is the methode to update these agents? copying the agent from the C:\program files\DPM\protection agents..... and then just install it? because when im doing that the installation is telling me that there is an agent already installed. So what i did is uninstall the agent and then install it one more time.

This methode to upgrade the agents will take alot of time... Can i at least just run the installation over the old agent?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Laith,

With every update which you install on DPM, you will see a folder with the updated version created under the "Protection Agents"\RA folder. Can you ensure that you are using the right version.

All you need to do is to run the installer and it will automatically upgrade the agent.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:50 AM