Upgraded to Windows 10, 1709 and Power Query will not load RRS feed

• Question

• 64-bit Excel, 2013. Upgraded to Windows 10, 1709 and now Excel will not load Power Query. Tried to run Excel, and it immediately exits. After two more tries to run Excel, I get the message "Excel is running into problems with the 'microsoft.mashup.client.excel' add-in. .... Do you want to disable it. If I click Yes, Excel functions without PQ. If I click No, then Excel crashes. I've tried removing PQ and reinstalling the most recent build several times. I've rebooted between removing and reinstalling, etc. Even when PQ is disabled, if I try to enable it via COM add-ins, Excel crashes. Any suggestions? Lastly, our PC's are pretty much locked down so fiddling with the registry likely won't be possible.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:00 PM

Answers

• I was able to be an early adopter of O365 at work this week, and the new version of Excel which is 2016 is working fine. So, my problem is solved.
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Rich,

Unfortunately it may be a difficult for us to diagnose this issue without access to the registry, as we would probably need to modify it to be able to collect a crash dump. But for starters, can you try reinstalling the .Net framework on the machine?

Thanks,

David

Friday, October 19, 2018 6:09 PM
  • I installed the most recent version of the .Net framework, which shows as 4.7.03062 in the registry. Rebooted, reinstalled Power Query, but same issue still. It looks like I'm able to run Regedit, so I can try collecting a crash dump if you tell me how to do it and where to send it to.
    Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:54 PM
  • Can you try the following to get a crash dump?

1. Edit the registry, open the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting and change the DWORD value ForceQueue to 1
    2. Open %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue in Windows Explorer to monitor it
    3. Reproduce the crash – at this point something should appear briefly in the ReportQueue folder

Please zip and send it to dazhang at microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:42 AM
  • Unfortunately ForceQueue doesn't exist in the registry at that location. I don't have permissions to add it. 
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:43 PM
  • Without access to the registry our options are quite limited, but we are asking around. In the meantime, is there an IT admin you can contact who could make the changes on your behalf?
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:36 PM
  • I was able to be an early adopter of O365 at work this week, and the new version of Excel which is 2016 is working fine. So, my problem is solved.
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:32 PM
  • Glad to hear you were able to get unblocked.
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 10:13 PM