none
When changing remaining work to "0 hrs" to the task, the task is become Milestone. How to prevent this? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have created one task in the project plan from 5th to 10th(6 days - Work(48 hrs)).

Later thought that, this task we have not done any work as this task cancelled.

In this scenario, if i go and change the remaining work to "0 hrs" for the task then task is changing Milestone from 
    "No" to "Yes". but actually this task is not a milestone task.

How to prevent this without changing the Milestone?

Could anyone please help me on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks

Venkat.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Venkat,

This behaviour is normal. When you enter a remaning work, then the work will be calculated as follow; work = actual work + remaning work.

In your case, you have no actual work, so puting the remaining work at 0 will set work to 0. Then when any task has a 0 day duration, Project sets it as a milestone.

If your case, when a task is cancelled with no actual work on it, I'd advice to inactivate it (if you're using Project Pro 2010).

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:52 PM
  • I agree with Guillaume, this is normal functionality and as expected. The inactive task option also applies to Project 2013.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Vankatrao P --

In addition to the excellent answers provided by Guillaume and PW Mather, the way to prevent the task from changing to a Milestone task is to make the task a Fixed Duration task.  Let me warn you, however, that the task Gantt bar will change from a solid blue bar to a dotted line bar instead.  But that is how to work around the issue you are describing.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Venkat,

This behaviour is normal. When you enter a remaning work, then the work will be calculated as follow; work = actual work + remaning work.

In your case, you have no actual work, so puting the remaining work at 0 will set work to 0. Then when any task has a 0 day duration, Project sets it as a milestone.

If your case, when a task is cancelled with no actual work on it, I'd advice to inactivate it (if you're using Project Pro 2010).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:52 PM
  • I agree with Guillaume, this is normal functionality and as expected. The inactive task option also applies to Project 2013.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I just find this way to contact a moderator..

I'm not able to reply to the post " display % work complete in the summay bar" with any browser.. Seems like the post is corrupted..

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Vankatrao P --

In addition to the excellent answers provided by Guillaume and PW Mather, the way to prevent the task from changing to a Milestone task is to make the task a Fixed Duration task.  Let me warn you, however, that the task Gantt bar will change from a solid blue bar to a dotted line bar instead.  But that is how to work around the issue you are describing.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I am using MSP 2010 standard version and "inactive" task tab is not available in this version,

Can you please share the steps which should be followed in order to cancel certain tasks(without deleting them from the schedule) .

I changed the duration of tasks as "0" and  deselected the "Mark as milestone" checkbox in task information.

Is this the correct way to cancel a task without deletion?

Regards

Puja

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:45 AM
  • pujat01 --

What you have done is correct if you are using the Standard version of Microsoft Project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:56 AM
  • Hi Puja,

If you change the duration, you will loose this information, meaning how many days the task was planned to last and how many effort it was.

I'd rather suggest to:

• set a constraint on the start date,
    • remove predecessors and sucessors (be carful to reschedule successors accordingly),
    • add a custom character (*) in front of the resource name
    • add a comment in the note field to record when and why the task has been removed

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Thanks Dale and Guillaume for the help.

:)

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:35 AM