dealing with remote networks and machines RRS feed

• Question

• No hands decent hands on experience yet:

MS recommends a few methods that are effectively moving the MAP machine from place to place but that is going to turn out to be a little inconvenient (a lot).

So 2 things that will help this for 2 different scenarios can help.  Are these doable and is there anything ready to go for these?

a) multiple installs of MAP and merging the DB.

b) stand alone computers (are there stand alone apps OR do I have to roll my own and merge it with the MAP DB?

thanks for good help :)

cs

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

• a) Sorry, but there isn't a way to merge the databases at this time. You could move the database around to different installs of MAP though

b) I'm not sure what you are asking in this question, can you explain further or phrase it differently?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by CountryStyle Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:39 PM

All replies

• a) Sorry, but there isn't a way to merge the databases at this time. You could move the database around to different installs of MAP though

b) I'm not sure what you are asking in this question, can you explain further or phrase it differently?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by CountryStyle Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hi Michael.   thanks for replying and asking.   I am asking because the computer/servers that need to be discovered are governed by different groups separated by firewalls and different credentials.  SQL is a similar story with many different groups holding the keys to their perspective installations.

Passing around an instance of the MAP DB just would would not work due to time constraints of doing so.  The groups need to work in parallel since it is short window we are aiming for.

I am thinking now that since the DBs can't be merged that the MAP instances can be queried and merged elsewhere outside of MAP.  It is the raw data that interests me more than the reports (though they are great) because it is data I need.

cs

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:00 AM